Lyon

Thanks to all. This is a useful thread. I was tempted by the Burgundy Lounge (great on-line wine list) N and Le Danton, but I think I might go to Paul Bocuse’s restaurant. I’ve read mixed reviews but I’d like to go to the institution once while he’s still around.

Sanjay, I’ve sent you a PM.

We loved Alsace and Lyon. Both were beautiful and so different. Food was great too.

A week seems like a long time to spend in Colmar unless you are just using it as a base to explore the surrounding areas. What do you have planned?

he is retiring this year. Classic meal worth doing once.

PM sighted and replied. Unfortunately there will be no overlap.

I am coming with my family. We want to have a leisurely holiday rather than a tightly packed program. We also don’t like living out of a suitcase and like using one place as a base to visit neighbouring places.
I attended a conference in Strasbourg last year. Took few days off afterwards and did take a day trip to see Colmar and another day trip to see the surrounding villages along the wine route. Really loved that area.
I now plan to use Colmar as a base. A day off for jet lag. Local sightseeing in Colmar. Take day trips to Strasbourg and Basel by train. Hire car to see local pretty villages along the wine route and cross across to Germany to see the black forrest.

I had thought about cutting a few days off Colmar and Avignon and using that time to stay in Beaune en route to Lyon but then opted against it . My wife and eldest are not into Burgundy and I did not want to organise it around Wine tasting in Burgundy. OTOH, both like Pinot Gris and Gewürztraminer.

BTW, any advise on getting a SIM card for Phone and one for iPad. Should I do it locally or get one there ?

And I had heard that the trains (TGV?) were on strike. Is that true. Has it been resolved?

We will be using TGV to go from Colmar to Lyon and Lyon to Avignon. And local trains and TGV for visiting Basel, Strasbourg, Aix en Provence, Marseilles, Arles.

Any information will be helpful.

Assuming you have an unlocked phone…Amazon.com
If you get this, send me a PM and I’ll advise on how to easily register the Orange SIM before you leave.

WI-FI is pretty common – you might not need one for the iPad. Plus you can connect using the Personal hot-spot feature if needed.

Strikes come & go in France. Usually only for a day.

Amazon did not allow direct shipping of this item to Australia. I got my friend to purchase it and send it to me. Still waiting. Hopefully by Friday.

If the Orange SIM doesn’t arrive in time, go to any Orange Boutique in France and buy one with the holiday package or internet max package. Bring your passport.

Just got the Sim delivered. Now i will work on it after my soccer duties

Thanks Steve and others
The Orange Sim worked like a treat.

We had a great time in Lyon and Alsace and Avignon. Three full sunny weeks. Avignon was hot initially ~ 38 degrees Celsius but then the Mistral come and temp dropped to 28 C.

We were there during Euro Soccer with plenty of crowds. Fun atmosphere.

I had originally planned to exit out of Nice but changed plans. Otherwise we would have been Nice exactly during the terrorist attack.

Thanks to Bernard and others for this thread. I had a couple of great days in Lyon. I ended up dining at the Burgundy Lounge, which was great, and Les Halles.

It’s great fun to be in France during a big football tournament. Very peaceful and relaxed (not what’s you see on TV), the different fans in my hotel interacting well, with people playing table soccer on the lawn.

Lyon is a captivating city!

Recent 2-day visit was no easy feat for dining options. Not only were most places closed for summer holiday but it was a weekend to boot. Pretty much a ghost city but we enjoyed nonetheless.

Had a nice meal at L’Ame Soeur. Bernard was right about the wine list. We had a super white Vacqueras and a 2008 Allemand Chaillots priced astoundingly well.

Thanks to Patrick for the steer to Le Supreme. Terrific Bresse chicken menu and a nice young Gonon.

Prior to Lyon we stopped in beautiful Annecy. Great morning market. Dinner was at Cafe Brunet. It is tumultuous and a laugh. Menus of food and wine are randomly posted on the walls and it’s a sizable place. Only by wandering around did I discover they have a Mondeuse only list dating back decades. Food was seriously good.

Bump!

Will be going to Lyon in mid-November (luckily at the same time as the celebration of Beaujolais Nouveau, yay!).
Any updates of recommendations? Looks like some of the places has closed down.

Enjoyed Lyon two June ago with friends. Our adventures through the city and dining were exceptional.
A find, at the time, for us and remains dear is Wee-An (wine bar, bistro). The address is 7 rue de la Part-Dieu 69003.

The Resistance Museum is excellent for a few hours of history. It is very well done.