LVMH buys Phelps!

Phelps has some great assets but as a brand it simply does nothing to inspire me. You put insignia on a table next to other similarly priced Napa wines and it rarely garners excitement. I think old, round, soft. It does nothing to inspire. So yeah, a refresh is needed.

2 Likes

No price discussed in other media. Seems accurate, honestly wouldn’t be surprised if it was north of $300M

Buy everything you see Pre-1995

2 Likes

I feel like Backus is one of the best wines in Napa.

The neighboring vineyards to Backus are legit…look to Tench Vineyard for a similar depth, though with Bevan’s touch it will never be subtle…but then Backus wasn’t either. Addax might be the best value on the block from those neighbors.

1 Like

Agree entirely if we are talking about Backus from 70s through early 90s.

Whatever the quality of Backus today, it’s a wine that is released at a very high price point and can almost instantly be obtained for far less, though still expensive, on the secondary market. Plenty of other Napa wineries do this, highest pricing reserved for those on the list and much lower pricing for retail.

If LVMH does nothing else, you can be damn sure they will not have this sort of price slippage occurring moving forward. Masters of price control are they.

fify

oakville really puts the b in subtle.

I think it’s exciting. In LVMH fashion, we should see a jump in quality (price too… that’s the downside). They will certainly try to recapture a position among the greatest Napa - a position Phelps once had but since lost.

Agreed. Phelps made wonderful wines in the 1970s and 1980s but have been living on their laurels for years. The wines I bought from the 90s were modern styled big fruit wines with no complexity that did not age the way previous wines did but rather sort of stayed in suspended animation. Hopefully, LVMH will bring them back to their former glory.

1 Like

The biggest negative with Phelps’s marketing in addition to the significant price increases is its widespread availability.

Of the truly great wines in the world, Chateau d’Yquem is a relative bargain. Dom Ruinart also has been a very good relative value in high end Champagne. The 2009 Dom Ruinart is fabulous, but still quite young.

1 Like

[bow.gif]

Agree. I worked briefly for LV a lifetime ago and they’re very, very strict about their pricing philosophy. In the case of LV, you’ll never see their products at a discount and you’ll never see their products at a retailer. Obviously, the last part doesn’t work for Phelps, but I bet the pricing part will be enforced pretty hard.

So much of the luxury consumer goods businesses is purely psychic, where consumers pay up dearly for self-assurance.

Shit the same applies to two-ply toilet paper my man.

1 Like

But think about Dom Perignon (5 million bottles annually) or Veuve Cliquot (18 million), two other LVMH brands. Even Yquem is 10,000 cases a year, and Cheval Blanc 8,000-10,000 cases – in line with many other top Bordeaux chateaus. Phelps is about 60,000 cases.

I hadn’t realized they could get such prices for their pinots and chardonnays. While no one on Berserkers talks much about Phelps post-1990 wines, plainly the brand is stronger than I realized when I posted initially.

I’m sorry but who the hell is paying that $ for Phelps Pinot and Chardonnay? No. Just no. Just stop. There’s enough insane BS in the world already. If that actually exists, and someone is insane enough to pay that, the only answer is powerful drugs.

The only truthful statement in all of that is Phelps treats their faithful clients like suckers and charges them through the nose for the privilege of buying a faded memory of former glory. Be on the list and pay north of $300 a bottle for Backus! They sell it to distributors for 40% less. They treated their core clients like marks for years and got away with it. Plenty of other wineries do this and it’s a damn shame. Just call it like it is.

I was thinking in terms of their Cabernet and Insignia compared to other Cali wines. I remember some years ago an ad campaign that spoke of “finding a bottle of Insignia” as though that was a rare and special find. I’m only aware of their Freestone line of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. If they have a high end line maybe someone can elaborate what that is.