Low temperature steak recipe?

That’s exactly what happens. You can control temp and coloring much better with reverse sear

The problem with all of these kinds of reverse sear directions (X degrees for Y minutes) is that it assumes that all steaks are the same thickness, same cut, cook uniformly, etc.
I think that assumption is poorly-made.

If I’m doing the oven reverse-sear method, I would want to use a remote probe thermometer inserted into the side of the steak to measure internal cooking temp. Everyone’s preference
for doneness varies, but I would aim to remove it from the oven at around 110-115 degrees and let it rest. After resting, then use a blazing hot cast iron skillet to char the exterior.

Bruce

I mean, with a lot of cooking experience, you can alter your reverse sear time to make sure you get it where you want it. Or you can use an in-oven digital thermometer, like you mentioned. I’m not sure carryover and a sear in the pan will get you from 110 to 130, though. Maybe on a pretty thin cut?

I agree with Charlie that the reverse sear gets you better textural results but I’ll say two things about it:

1. It takes probably 2-2.5x the time to finish reverse sear (vs. screeching hot cast iron pan, sear first method) so if you’re in a weekday scenario, sear first likely wins
  2. Reverse sear causes WAY less smoke in my apartment, which my GF and the dog heavily prefer

I prefer either method to SV for steak.

Put me in the sear first camp… if only because the steak is easier to keep flat if it is uncooked and I can keep the whole surface in contact with the cast iron pan. I then put it in the oven at 250 to desired internal temp on a rack on a sheet pan so I have airflow all around and don’t end up with a wet side. It helps to air dry the steak in the fridge for a few hours before the sear.

Reverse sear makes perfect sense for roasts, but I find it unnecessary for steaks. For steaks, I generally salt and refrigerate the steak on a wire rack an hour ahead to overnight, preferably the latter. Then on to the gas Weber on high heat, turning and rotating frequently to get grill marks on as much of the meat as possible (pretty grill marks reflect a poor decision to sacrifice coverage of Maillard-induced flavor for aesthetics). Frequently turning the steaks also allows a uniform doneness comparable to a reverse sear. I follow the same routine if cooking on a cast iron skillet on the stove.

And I agree with everyone that sous vide doesn’t work for prime steaks (I find that it’s fine for lesser grades). And I do low heat followed by high heat for roasts.

It’s just that convenience wins out over the very slight improvement you get with reverse sear on steaks.

That’s just what I find, in practice, as well.

[winner.gif]

It seems to me if you sear first in a hot pan and then put that pan in the oven, you’ll have that high heat source in contact with the meat in the oven and you’ll get the graying that you’re trying to avoid with the low heat method. Isn’t the low heat method predicated on having only a brief contact with the hot surface (pan or grill) for a very thin layer of browning, without graying the meat? Your suggestion just doesn’t compute for me.

High heat only isn’t going to provide even doneness, unless you like your steak Pittsburg rare.

Yes, it will, if you turn the steak frequently. Kenji explains it here, and having cooked dozens of steaks this way I’ve had the same results.

I have been cooking steaks, pork tenderloins, etc. in my warming drawer for years. I think I may have actually made a post about this several years ago - dry sous vide cooking.

If you have a warming drawer, put whatever meat you want to cook wrapped in aluminum foil in it to keep it from drying out as it takes a fairly long time to get to the desired internal temperature which can result in dry meat. Do not season beforehand. You will need to place a thermometer in the warming drawer and another in the meat to monitor the temperature, adjusting if necessary depending upon what you are cooking. For my warming drawer, medium is 140 degrees which is perfect for a pork tenderloin. For a steak, I adjust the temperature lower. If you watch the temperature, it is impossible to overcook the chosen cut of meat. Bottom line - the same temperature throughout the piece of meat.

I then season the meat and use a propane torch from the hardware store to get a sear after cooking the particular meat to the desired temperature in the warming drawer.

Save the juices. You can do wonderful things with them.