Love for wine, and a little gem from Gattinara

Thank you. I had seen that site. They don’t cover 2002.

Edit: Actually, I now see that the 2022 report has improved its look-back graph and the 2002 comparative info in it is a bit more informative than in prior reports. (And at least in Gattinara it looks like the 2002 vintage was as bad as in Barolo.)

But when you have some time please let me know.

1 Like

Absolutely. When i’ll have a few hours free i’ll try to write a comprehensive post if you are interested

1 Like

That would be great if you could just cover the last twenty vintages or so. No need to go into the last century. :cheers:

3 Likes

I have to thank you again for this post. I stumbled across some ‘older’ Petterinos (Petterini?) and bought a few. Popped the first last night and just loved it. Classic Alto Piemonte Nebbiolo with a little age - bright, energetic, floral, and with tons of life and development potential still. Detailed note below.

2006 Petterino Gattinara. My first Petterino and I’m really impressed. Very light in color but fresh lively and dense. Floral earthy red fruited nose, pretty but not delicate. Palate mid-weight- but well fruited, a little darker fruit than the nose. Crunchy, tart, youthful, just a hint of darker earthiness. Fine balance and still moderately (but not offensively) tannic. Reminds me of a lighter Barbaresco from a cool vintage. 17 years old? I would not have guessed. Only thing holding the score back is complexity that could come with development. I’ll have to hold a bottle back for a decade to see how it evolves. Excellent wine.

3 Likes

Funny - we served the 2012 at our wedding. Have seen this wine on a few lists in NYC recently.

No need for thanks!

It’s one of the greatest pleasure of this passion. Sharing the wines that we love with like minded people, and receive a positive feedback as well.

Probably i’m going to visit Giancarlo and Marco again at the end of the month to get my annual stash. Unfortunately they’re not getting any younger.

Let’s see if i can get a couple of pictures of the vineyards.

:cheers:

2 Likes