Love for Domaine Chevalier

Jeff my local guy has the 2015 L’Esprit for $28.99. Decent for everyday?

Quite out of context … and in no response to anybody … but just fwiw

I´ve tasted the Pavie 2016 last week (blind) and it was the best right bank that night, imho superior to La MissionHB (in the same flight) and Beausejour-B. … I didn´t recognize Pavie and even though it to be quite traditional (oak not obtrusive) …
Left bank Pontet-Canet was marvellous, better than Mouton … and Ducru-B. was also stunning.

Edged out the '24 Ch. Margaux opened the same night:

DOA. This had the most disgusting stench I’ve ever smelled in a wine. A few people called it bubblegum but that wasn’t it. It was more like bubblegum that had stuck to the bottom of your shoe and then traipsed all over a New York City sidewalk for a couple years. I literally could not bring myself to put this in my mouth since it seemed like it might actually make me sick. Zero points.

no great wines, only great bottles, yadda yadda…

I don’t know if you or me (also) got a yak palate
But to my t taste the 1995 is superior to the 2015. And will be so in the coming years
Same goes for the 1975 and 1989 and 1990
It is not a big deal to obtain these wines in EU neener

It’s you Claus. Many fine wine journalists agree with Jeff [wink.gif]

Mark,

What is the dividing line in vintages? This thread shows why Bordeaux today is such a minefield.

Around 1995. Dererrncourt came later but the wines were tailing offa little.

I would push the real transition to 2002, and I’m not as negative on 1995-2000. My understanding is Derenoncourt was there for 2001 but they took the gas off the fully modern treatment to deal with vintage, and the wine was decent (if not ready in my view) last year.

The 2014 is a sultry sleeper.

The 2015 is delicious.

Claus… if you thought we didn’t agree before… off the top of my head, I cannot think of any 95 Bordeaux that’s better than its 2015 counterpart!

And except for 75 d’Yquem and a few other Sauternes, there is no red 1975 Bordeaux I want to own in my cellar today.

It’s a hard, tannic, charmless vintage that 1995 is trying hard to emulate.

I’m still friends with Alfret. Are we still friends? :thinking::grin:

The Smith Haut Lafitte since 2009 has been hitting it out of the park. Really great wine and at that price value ~$100.

Another is Carmes Haut Brion that has really gained in QBR in the past ten years or so.

Obviously Mission, Haut Brion at a much higher price point.

blahblah [rofl.gif]

Mark, I couldn’t hold back either…

Where to begin, oh where to begin?

Well, last time I looked Yquem and other Sauternes were all white. [snort.gif]

As for your comment about 1975 Bordeaux are concerned, yet again you are showing you really don’t understand older wines. Right Bank Bordeaux are generally extremely good, and Pomerols are extraordinary. We are not just talking Petrus, and Lafleur, but VCC, L’Evangile, Certan de May, Trotanoy, Lafleur Petrus etc etc. Turning to Saint Emilion, I have had mixed luck with Cheval, but Figeac is solid, as is Magdelaine. Not just confined to the Right Bank, but you might have heard from all those great critics whose palate you share, that La Mission was pretty good in 1975.

Medoc also has a few that I happily have in my cellar. Palmer, Ducru, Pichon Lalande, Latour (after decades of dourness) and Montrose.

You will burn in Hell for this cheesehead

The 1975 Latour is delicious. I had it yet again in May, and it was gorgeous.

Perhaps you have the palate of a yak.

There are good people on both sides

Jeff,

Posts like this are why I pay little to know attention to the tasting notes on your web site and on this board. I like your web site a lot for the estate information and history, but I pretty much ignore the tasting notes.

And, I like you, I just don’t think your palate and mine align very much.

So we can’t trust winemakers now? I thought people got skewered for suggesting this in the past.

With the sole exception of perhaps Morgan at Bedrock, I don’t think that I have ever put any weight on a winemaker’s notes. But you are correct, my statement was overly-generalized and perhaps not fair. I do not know this man.