Lot18 master thread (vouchers, credits, shipments, wines)

+1

Always good to have some easy drinking Pinot at hand.

You won’t regret it, Scott. Very enjoyable wine and quite a QPR at the price and with the vouchers!

The CT notes on this wine didn’t seem tooooo favorable. Any thoughts?

Really want the Core, but no shipping to VA. Booooo.

I also bit on the Ketcham RRV. 2008 is the first year without Michael Browne as the winemaker – the new winemaker is Scott Rich of Talisman. Additionally, 2008 is the first year where this cuvee is 100% estate fruit.

I have not tried it – the last time I tried this wine was the 2005, which I enjoyed. I bit on seven bottles, because I felt like it was a good gamble and there seems to be a three month time limit on most of these Lot 18 vouchers.

I saw a few reasonably favorable TN’s on CT, a couple of which were from our own Mr. Dildine, whose notes I have found to be useful over the years. After factoring in the vouchers, I figure I’m getting these bottles for around $10 or $11 each … it’s hard to quibble with that price. [cheers.gif]

you are looking at the wrong wine in CT, the Lot 18 wine is the Ketcham Estate Ketcham Vineyard, not the regular RRV

http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=851358

Last night, I asked Lot18 on twitter if they had any good whites or rosés coming. They replied promising a Bordeaux Blanc that’s a “cult classic in NYC” in the next couple days. Any guesses? This sounds promising.

“Cult classic” doesn’t sound promising to me, it sounds like marketing. That said, hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

Was having a convo with another WBer recently and he mentioned that most of the wines that Lot18 has been offering have been cellar defender types – decent drinkable wines, but nothing terribly interesting. I think his assessment is spot-on. Would really like to see more higher end offerings and/or offerings from outside California (nothing wrong Cali wines, just like variety).

They can only offer US wines…so they can focus on Oregon, Washington etc. but nothing international.

They’ve had a number of non-domestic wines over the last three weeks.

Really? Which ones?

Given they don’t take physical inventory of the wine where is it coming from?

Thus far, these are the only non-domestic wines that have been offered:

2008 Domaine Parent Bourgogne Pinot Noir (2 Btl
Château Haut Selve Graves 2006
Château Paveil de Luze Margaux 2008
Château Gigognan Côtes du Rhône Vigne du Prieure 2009
Château Gigognan Côtes du Rhône Villages Bois des Moines 2009
Château Gigognan Vigne du Regent Châteauneuf du Pape 2007

Looks like they’re coming from Hops & Grapes, an NJ-based retailer.

They offered this a few days ago: http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=824400

Not sure where it’s coming from, but I’ve noticed it’s taking longer than usual to ship.

The shipping notifications from Hops & Grapes (for international wines) have been coming two days after it actually ships. I just got mine today for the Chianti I purchased and the tracking shows it actually was shipped two days ago. Looks Luke a logistics thing that may different web working with Hops & Grapes vs. Wineries.

I think some of the best buys I have seen so far in terms of rating/price have been Juslyn, Sokol Blosser Pinot, L’Ecole Cab, JC Cellars Vendatta Syrah, Ogdon Olsen Unti Syrah. Maybe not top of the line, but 92-94 pt wines, most of these in the $20-30 range before vouchers. The juslyn were more like $45-50.

Lot18 invite link: http://www.lot18.com/i/MemberRegistration

Tyler Rico wrote: > you are looking at the wrong wine in CT, the Lot 18 wine is the Ketcham Estate Ketcham Vineyard, not the regular RRV

D’oh! You’re absolutely right. I hope it doesn’t suck too bad.

Yeah, I was very tempted since I saw they were Ketcham, buuuuuuut, the reviews weren’t too glowing. I dunno… it’s Lot18, so it’s a wait and see what’s next game.

If you take out Richard Jennings 81, it has pretty decent scores.

Cellartracker is a great tool, but the scores need to be taken with a grain of salt, especially when a wine has so few reviews.

I don’t really look at the scores too much, just read the descriptions. Fruit juice and alcohol, overblown, one-dimensional… if that’s the case, then I think I’m passing. But who knows?

I wonder if it is even legal for a retailer to sell wine through a third party…

I too got the ship notice on the chianti today as well and it shipped on the 12th.

The white Bordeaux is up: A 2009 Château Lamothe de Haux Bordeaux Blanc.

Has anyone had this? CT notes aren’t encouraging…