Long Beach Friday 7/31, Bistro 212º

I plan to bring:

2006 Cuilleron, St. Joseph Blanc (Marsanne/Roussanne blend)

…and something else. Not sure what yet.

If I recall correctly, Yves does more than one St. Joseph. Know which one it is?

Lyseras by Cuilleron - forgot to say that

will also bring the Barth Sekt.

It’s going to be funky white night!

In the funky white vein, I’ll bring the 2000 Tyrrell’s Hunter Valley Semillon Vat 1. For my red, from the cradle of democracy and dolmades, the 2005 Domaine Tselepos Nemea Agiorgitiko Driopi.

Ya’ll are in for a real treat! [winner.gif]

geez, Kriss … why don’t you try bringing something interesting to the party?!? neener

Thank you Kriss for setting this up - you find the best places! Wonderful food; I will be going back for sure. Enjoyed all the wines except for the corked 2001 Pride Cab Franc, but hey, that was just one is what seemed like 20+? Cris took notes, I’m sure he’ll post them at some point. Due to the weather and being seated outside, I leaned more toward the bevy of whites which included some tasty alternative varieties! The group was in a festive mood and the patio setting was just perfect for last night. I had a great time. Thank you! [worship.gif]

Notes anyone? Curiou to hear about both the food and the wines!

Cheers!

Larry, I didn’t take notes, but I have some quick hit impressions of some of the wines. I believe Charlie brought your Outlier, and for me it was an even better showing of the wine than I had at Frank’s Falltacular. More resolved, showing nice cut for a gewurz.

My take was that the whites carried the night. There were a good margin more of them than the reds, anyway, but on the whole they outperformed their pigmented partners. My WOTN was the '99 Lopez de Heredia Rioja Vina Gravonia Blanco. On the heels of a recent success with the '98, this is fast becoming one of my go-to whites. The oxidative winemaking perfected over decades in the cellars of LdH adds richness without distracting off flavors, and complements a wide range of foods.

There was also an outstanding Pepiere Clos de Briords Muscadet ('07, I believe. Bruce?) Some don’t like the bottle of rocks minerality of Muscadet, but it’s right in my wheelhouse.

I brought the '00 Tyrrell’s Hunter Valley Vat 1 Semillon, and was pleased with my first experience with this bottling. It has quite a following down under, and I will remain a fan based on this one. I can understand why adherents counsel patience with them, as this was just starting to show a full 9+ years after vintage.

Others may chime in with their impressions. [cheers.gif]

Kriss,
Thanks for setting this up. Great job! It was good to see some new faces and familiar ones. The outdoor patio of that restaurant was perfect given the warm summer night.

The whites really did outshine what reds there were. I had a few WOTNs, one being the Terenzuola ‘Montesagna’ Vermentino (went well with my shrimp dish), glad I liked the wines I brought: Cuilleron and the white Rioja. The Tercero Gewürztraminer was very tasty. Dry, but with a lot of apricots and tropical fruit, I only wish I discovered that bottle earlier on. The 2005 burgundy by Vincent Dureuil Janithal was a pleasure too, could go on and on, there were a lot of delicious wines that night and enjoyed the company.

Here are a few pictures I took: Cheers! V
http://tinyurl.com/kw4p7l

The outlier was open for about 10 hours before I brought it :wink:

We understand, Charlie. You just couldn’t wait until the evening for your post-bar exam tippling to commence! neener