London Wine Shop Suggestions?

Yes, very cool selection to browse. Sampled 01 d’Yquem and 96 Haut Brion last time I was there.

It may not be much of a shop, but there were at least six people there that made no effort. I was more put off by the fact that the one person that eventually came over to talk to me just told me to go online. Would it not be a better approach to have the ability in the shop to schedule something if the person is in the building? They have the internet and a computer as well.

I hope to make it over to Hedonism this week.

I primarily shopped at BBR when I lived in London and had nothing but fantastic service from them. I still buy through them a bit and have about 1/3 of my collection stored with them. Now, that service was primarily through online shopping and through my Account Manager. I’ve been into the shop at St. James a few times and my wife has as well and haven’t encountered anything like what’s been mentioned here. Oh well, maybe it was an off day.

Hedonism is very cool - Disneyland for wine adults.

+1 on Hedonism. I picked up an '01 Santenots from Prieure that was good (not great…but that’s not their fault!). And the staff were a lot of fun to chat with and taste through a few wines (2009 Echezeaux Rouget).

Head over to http://thequalitychophouse.com/ for either a bottle to take away or a meal to enjoy. I’m in London nearly every other week and this is a place that I can not (will not) let pass on each and every trip. Really fantastic people, wine, food, ambiance.

No association with either, just a wine nut who enjoys eating a drinking well when I travel (and when I’m home!).

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Uncorked in a passageway to Broadgate, out the back (north) end of Liverpool Street Station. Quite a nice selection.

Also, there’s another Lea & Sandeman at 211 Kensington Church Street, near the Notting Hill Gate tube station, which might be more convenient for some people.

My wife and I popped into Harrods today and to my surprise, the bottom level had a pretty decent wine shop. I did not buy anything, but this shop was not shabby at all.

Absolutely!

The top British department stores traditionally had wonderful food and wine departments. Selfridges and Harvey Nichols are also on that list.

Once upon a time, Macy’s had major wine departments in their NY and San Francisco stores.

I always enjoy poking around at Harrods. I think their selection used to be better before their remodel, but it is definitely bigger and still worth the time :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t be a big surprise, Dan mentions it in post #8 :wink:.

I missed it in the post.

champagne.gif

:slight_smile:.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. There used to be plenty of deals in Harrods, Coche, SQN all below market. Those says have gone.