Loire Valley & Paris Travel Report + TNs (05 Rayas, 12 Lamy Criots, 00 Overnoy, 18 Richard Leroy, Selosse, Ulysse Collin, 19 Mugnier, 13 Coche-Dury, ...)

I don’t think you can. My friend found an older version online. It’s not a bad list at all, just not priced anywhere close to the other restaurants we’ve been to. Still plenty of interesting bottles to choose from, you’ll like it!

What a great trip. Thanks for the report.

2 Likes

Excellent trip/tasting report. Sets a new standard for incorporating pictures.
Thank you!

2 Likes

What incredible notes. It makes me want to go to the Loire. We had a trip planned there and COVID caused an issue. Time to rebook. Thank you.

1 Like

I feel like it’s not talked about enough, the issues with advanced/premoxed wines in the Loire. Rougeard and Guiberteau become dice rolls 6-7 years after release. Sucks as when they are on they are on.

Gorgeous, really wanted to visit when we were in France last year, but wasn’t sure if we wanted to make the trip from Paris with the 5 year old.

Funny - can look at the table and the bar and know exactly where you were for both places :joy:

Man, jealous. Older Ovenoy Poulsard is legend. The 99 out of mag Justin opened once still lingers in my mind.

They have a couple deals on there tho :smiley:

(p.s. replying on the new board software to pieces of a long post is so easy! )

I agree, it’s pretty frustrating. And young Rougeard is hard to drink (at least the 15 was all oak and tightly wound).

I’m not surprised :stuck_out_tongue: It’s not that these places are secret, just that I feel a public board is not the right place to talk about them…

I heard legends about this mag :wink: The 2000 had great provenance, too. Perfect fill and according to the owner, it spent it’s entire life in Chateau Chalon, before it was brought to Paris recently… Wasn’t cheap, but oh, what a treat!

It’s awesome! Part of this post was also me trying to figure out the new software ^^

The one thing I miss, especially when composing a long post like this, with a bunch of interspersed text and pictures, is the old ability to have a tab open with everything, and be able to preview as you go, to set it up the way you want. The little preview window just isn’t comparable. Wonder if that’s an option that can be turned on in this sw.

Click this button:

1 Like

Yes, lol. Don’t want to distract from your great thread, just a comment.

Would have ordered that coche two weeks ago but we went to Huguette instead closer to our hotel (and so my kids could get pasta with clams). They had a nice Leroy aligote though!

Great post, nice pics, some really great wines. Well done!

1 Like

Thanks so much Andy - very informative, great pics, great wines, and great info about the region and restaurants. And to think, that Lamy was from before they become “great” in theory!

2 Likes

Wow, what a marvellous trip, notes and photos! You certainly were busy! Excellent post, a great way to start the day -thanks for taking the time to do it - I know it’s a lot easier with the new system but it still takes a huge amount of time - so well done you, it was worth the effort!

1 Like

Great trip and wines!

1 Like

Chateau Chenonceau

Circling back to this, one of the greatest pieces of architecture in the world. A design with soul. Such a moving experience. I recall seeing this Chateau as a teen (I think that age is about right) at an Epcot theatre, where you flew over and around this Chateau. It struck me then. And strikes me now. Just a spectacular place.

Love the pics!! Brings back great memories. My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon here, and stayed at Relais y Chateaux to get into that royal spirit!

A trip to repeat.

2 Likes

Wow what a post. Extremely jealous on that Overnoy!

1 Like

Amazing trip! Any fav’s of your Huet lineup?

Interesting comment. How did you learn about these places?? I’m guessing from some of us who have mentioned restaurants like La Cagouille for many years?

I know this is an old post but the photos and details are awesome. I mainly wanted to reply to see if anyone has a good resource for exploring Loire wines. It is a region I have studied the least but every time I have the wines (esp the reds) I tell myself I’m going to dig into it. My local shop is great but not deep in Loire. So I will have to order some bottles. Hoping to get some advice on producers to be sure and check out. Thanks much!

This might help.

1 Like