Loire Greats. Hot Take - Vatan over-rated. Cotat is King!

That’s like saying Yquem isn’t classic Sauternes. Like Yquem, Vatan is heads and shoulders better than other wines in its category.

1 Like

Now I want ti try a Vatan.

1 Like

Nah. They suck. A wine for Poseurs.

However, if you haven’t tasted Quatre Piliers Cuvee Bel Air - I think it will destroy both Vatan and Cotat. He used to work at Paul Pillot and Coche-Dury and has an insane balance and structure. Every Somm we’ve introduced it to has been blown away. Give it an hour or two of air prior - super impressive. He hits this purity, he blinded me on the 21 (not yet released) and was 1000% convinced it was Vatan. For $58 - its half the price of current Cotat (stupid)

You can read about him here

Disclaimer - we do import the wines but I’d say the same thing if we didn’t.

I hope you’ll have some for sale in Brentwood when you open. I’d like to drink buy and drink one bottle as an intro, which isn’t worth the cost and hassle of shipping.

2 Likes

Agreed. I think the path is just to send someone around to freshen the aperitif pour. I also talk too much about wine, but your glass will always be full.

Done :slight_smile:
Can’t decide if I’m a fan of winebid. Am tracking them, but mostly trying to get my buying stratgey in order (how far back to go, which vintages, blah blah). Regardless, thanks for pointing them out.

In a grim dark future…all we have is wine.

:point_up_2: This. I’ve got some on deck for a tasting in a couple of weeks :fire::wine_glass:!

2 Likes

Curious… what wineries in New Zealand did Valentin work for?

Oh cool, post notes!!

1 Like

I don’t think so. Yquem is classic Sauternes and easily identifiable as such. Vatan does not taste like other Loire SB, and not simply because it’s better; the style is completely different.

As far as being far above anything else, my Vatan experience is limited, but I think Dagueneau is a strong argument otherwise. While Louis-Benjamin’s wines have not been as consistent as Didier’s, he seems to be getting there and at least sometimes achieving extreme highs like his father did.

1 Like

Thanks for chiming in, to back me up a little (I think lol). But then I have to disagree, and say that, for me, Dagueneau is another producer that makes wine in a unique style, not really what I would call “classic”.

I get that to an extent, but I think they speak clearly of Loire Valley SB. In blind tastings, Dagueneau has been easy to identify as such, while Vatan seems completely different.

Anyway, I wasn’t saying Dagueneau is necessarily more classic (even though I do think so), only that Vatan isn’t in a different (much higher) category of quality.

1 Like

Yes, I agree Dagueneau is most often identifiable as Loire, just that it often has a different profile than what I think of as mainstream, classic Sancerre. Of course, Dagueneau isn’t Sancerre, so maybe that makes sense lol.

1 Like

We can disagree. Vatan is, to my palate, the Yquem of Sancerre. The market seems to agree with me.

It sure does! But do you think Vatan’s wines speak clearly of Loire SB? Would you call them typical?

I thought I was bringing the hot take energy :slight_smile:

Will grab a Quatre Piliers Cuvee Bel Air to try. Thanks.

1 Like

I’d say Vatan is as typical as Rayas. They are varietally and regionally correct, and then some. As there is no CdP like Rayas, although Rayas is identifiable as CdP, there is no Sancerre like Vatan.

2 Likes

Yup! This, 100%