Littorai Fall Release- Tuesday 8/11

Order in. Glad I was able to grab a few SV Pinots, as I only grabbed one (Hirsch) in the spring.

Those library wines were PRICEY! I’ll just age my own thank you.

Yeah, my first shot at any library wines (only offered two) - YOUCH! over $200 for a 750 - no way I can pull the trigger on that…

Some Mays Canyon for me.

I don’t know what to think about those prices. $200 for a 2005 750 Summa pinot??? Maybe the powers that be at Littorai have an unexpected humorous streak. I picked up two of these a couple of months ago at K and L for $45 each.

That '05 Summa was mis-priced at K&L for whatever reason (as was the '05 Thieriot I bought last week for $45 - we should both thank our lucky stars!). The '07 Summa from K&L, more representative of the going rate, was $99. Still a bargain vs. the library wines, although perfect provenance is always good. Of course at least 99% of K&L pre-owned wines are in excellent shape…

I’d be surprised if K and L were consistently mispricing Littorai. Wine Journal Quarterly auction prices (where they exist) are generally in the $40s for older Littorai. For example, 07 Thieriot went for $42.66. I’d guess K and L are tracking those prices to some extent.

I bought two bottles of Library wine from Littorai once ( 02 Mays Canyon chard.). One was delicious and the other was shot.

I had a 12 Les Larmes a few weeks back and, though young, was a fabulous bottle with plenty of upside potential. So interesting to see post release prices as low as they are. I would think the market would remain strong for these. Any possible reasons for this? Thanks.

I think availability trumps quality. Scarcity is, in my opinion, what really pushes prices higher. Add to that a SENSE of uniqueness. These wines, are good as they are, have neither.

Just to be clear, it’s the older bottles (usually 2006 and previous) that go relatively inexpensively. K and L has a bunch of 2011s right now that are at, or slightly above, release pricing. So the more recent back vintages seem to hold their value.

I can see older vintages not holding value, as most folks do not see California Pinot Noir (of any stripe) being a wine that can benefit from age. Folks like us know differently, but most people…nope.

I think that explanation makes a great deal of sense. It may also explain why littorai’s older chardonnays sometimes go for peanuts.

Yes. Old California Chardonnay? Very few who will go for that.

+1

More aged Stony Hill then for the very few. Yum.

I do similar with a few producers, it’s a hard way to live but the wallet has to pay for some other non wine related things :stuck_out_tongue:

Bumping this thread to say that K and L got another small shipment of older Littorai wines in today. They have the 2006 Mays Canyon Pinot in stock (9 bottles) at 49.99. I grabbed a couple but there are some left. For comparison, they have the 2011 vintage in stock at 79.99.

Thanks, Katrina. Just picked up a trio of '06 pinots! (Not the best timing, as I finally picked up my previous Littorai order from K&L just yesterday.)

I have no idea where K&L is sourcing these older Littorai’s from or whether this latest batch is from the same source as the earlier one(s), but I have to say I just finished day 2 of a '98 One Acre that came from them a few months ago and [worship.gif] If the '06 Mays Canyon I’m picking up on Friday turns out half as good I’ll be a happy camper.

Steve,

The last ‘98 One Acre I had (must have been at least 5 years ago) was an epiphany. Nice to hear it’s still rockin’. I’m guessing the '06 Mays will indeed be about half as good, but just that. :smiley:

Where ever these wines are coming from, it’s interesting that each batch goes to the K&L website rather than into the auction pool. That means the seller (1) wanted the money up front, and (2) was willing to take a bit less than they would have likely been able to realize at auction.