Lisbon/Porto/Douro Visit Recommendations - November Visit

We were in Portugal for the first two weeks of September. We stayed in Vidago for 6 nights and in Porto for 4 nights. Had a wonderful time.

The Douro Valley is awesome. So pretty. It’s the most scenic wine region we’ve visited.

We took a one hour boat tour in Pinhao. I wouldn’t do it again but was glad we did as was a nice change of pace throughout a day of tasting.

Visited Sandeman. The tour was pretty boring honestly; the views from the tasting room are amazing, however. I would go back and just taste and take in those views. Very cool (Scary!) drive up the mountain to get there.

We had lunch at DOC. Highly recommended. Hopefully the weather is good in November and you could sit outside.

The Yeatman seems to be the place to stay in Porto. Great views. We had several quibbles with the service but still a good spot. If you like a cigar, you can smoke one inside there in their smoking lounge which is a great room replete with leather chairs and old paintings, books and maps.

Walking around the riverfront in Porto is fun. Vendors are out selling stuff on the weekends. Can hop around from restaurant or port house to port house.

In Vidago, Vidago Palace is tremendous.

Probably off-topic but I played some fun golf at Estela Golf Club (35 minutes away from the Yeatman) and Oporto Golf Club (20 minutes away). Estela is a wonderful and difficult links; Oporto is the oldest golf club in Portugal and 5th oldest in Europe.

Porto is really a somewhat hidden jewel. It should be in the world’s top 5 city destinations in my view. Wonderful people, incredibly beautiful, great food and wine, gustory etc etc.

Definitely stay at the yeatman. Vinum restaurant at Grahams is another must.