Lisa Perotti Brown - 34 x 100 p in the new WA issue

While I like looking to see how a region performed in what should be an epic vintage like 2016, I also like to sort backwards and see who ran into some troubles…most of the sub-90 wines are Sauvignon Blancs and some other whites, only a couple high priced red surprises. Of all the names in the 100 point range, I’m actually not surprised that any of them got 100, a bit surprised 31 did in 2016, as 2015 Harlan and Spottswoode and 2010 Spottswoode were 100s too.

Wonder how ROI is going for the team that purchased TWA?

Yeah, I also missed Mike’s 4th 100 in ‘13. THAT was the record. champagne.gif

congrats for being wrong (again)?
these scores are handed out like candy corn, unfortunately to both.

Wow . . .

William Kelley did not hand out a single 100 point score when reviewing wines from Santa Barbara and SLO Counties. Interesting . . .

Colgin (Allison Tauziet) also garnered three 100-point scores in the current (LPB) set of reviews (plus a meager 98 for their Syrah).

Jonathan

Larry, the only interpretation I would give to that is that William is a much more balanced and nuanced critic who doesn’t need to draw attention to himself through inordinately high scores. Bravo to him.

id enjoy seeing a statistical analysis of the scores given to PM, morlet, and aubert from LPB compared to RP.

It makes me wonder in a different way: are we now seeing homogenization of wines based on a “Parker Ideal?”

Is this ‘convergence of perfection’ a function of improvements in the process, or is it abandoning individualism in favor of point seeking?

Even if everyone is getting a participation trophy, I’m betting Mike Smith’s wines are really good this year. Means another level of research, I guess, and makes it harder to cut through all the inflated GPAs, but if it boosts everyone’s self esteem, society is served. [snort.gif]

That said, did she review Detert? I always like those wines.

G

Are these wines all cabs?

the ‘revolutionary’ 100-point scale started as a 40-point scale, really, quickly became a 25-point scale, now is an 18-point scale.

What 3 Mike wines got 100s?

2016 Myriad Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Elysian, 2016 Carter Beckstoffer Las Piedras La Verdad, 2016 Carter Beckstoffer To Kalon the GTO

I would call it even smaller, sadly.

I’d say we are in the times of the 87-100 point scale.

A B+ is now a “wine participation” grade.

Thanks sir. Look at carter getting 2.

I’m just curious how many of the hundred points scores were not Bordeaux variety based wines?

Also, anyone know how many Pinots or, egads, rhone variety wines have garnered 100 points from the WA in the past few years (other than SQN)?

Cheers

Looking real quickly, I only see five red wines (there were 11 whites) from California from 2013-2016 other than SQN that meet your criteria:

2014 L’Aventure For Her
2014 Marcassin Pinot Noir Bessie’s Block
2013 Bedrock Exposition #2
2013 Bedrock Exposition #3
2013 Booker Fracture EXT

I guess ‘perfection’ tends to be variety and geographic specific for the most part . . .

why sad?

all wine being better at least in this report, not withstanding those left unreported

in other words, if aren’t enjoying good wine, you must be working hard at that

Many posters talk about the Wine Advocate’s “downfall”… some with glee, some with sadness.

My question is if the Wine Advocate has had a downfall. Does anybody know if subscriptions are dropping off? Is income dropping off? Are the ‘Matter of Taste’ tastings drawing great, good, fair, poor attendance? Do they make the owners money?

I understand that the new editor, Lisa Perotti Brown does not have the respect of many members of this board (and the old Parker board). I also understand Jeb Dunnuck and Neal Martin had a lot of respect and their departure has lowered the opinion of TWA among many board members. But how does this translate to wine lovers who are not on this board, and to wine lovers who may be less passionate and perhaps less obsessive. How do subscriber numbers compare between TWA and TWS, and how did they compare in the Ancien Regime and under the new management of Lisa Perotti Brown? How do subscriber numbers compare to membership and activity on this board?

If anybody has any info, or even speculation, I’d be interested.

Dan Kravitz