Liquor Barn Memories...

I loved shopping at Liquor Barn stores. In the early days, the selection was enormous and I was stunned and overjoyed the first time I walked into one. Man, this looks like it’s the size of a Safeway and it’s nearly all wine, beer, and liquor (with lots of higher end labels, imported as well as domestic). When I first took a job in the far east bay, I commuted from the Peninsula for a while. Often went to work on weekends, too, so I would drive by numerous stores to check their stock (Jamet Cote Rotie at around $12, for example).

The chain wasn’t run in a way that made much business sense, though. Majestic wasn’t much better. Time to have a massive price cut on one segment of the store to generate sales? Let’s pick the 1982 Bordeaux! Um, seems like a bad choice but I’ll play. A lot of the stores were seriously downsized and segmented, with the other portion rented out. I think this may have been done by the Majestic successor. The stores became totally uninteresting, so I don’t really recall much of their final act.

-Al

That sounds right. I was going from memory and it isn’t what it was in the mid 90’s. [cheers.gif]

The last time I drove up to Oregon on I-5 years ago I stopped by that Liquor Barn. Same signage on the building, lot’s of the same racking inside. The store is independently owned according to the person I talked to. He related a weird bit of trivia that I can believe. Before Washington got rid of their state stores that store was the number one retailer of Canadian Mist in the country. He said they still do a hell of a lot of business to Oregon and Washing residents selling spirits.

Wow, so that was a relic of the past! Very cool. Who knows about the Canadian Mist, but yeah lots of Oregonians swear by CA liquor stores vs. our state system. I’m not a big liquor guy but every time I try to find deals in CA, either the pricing is about the same or once you factor in no OR sales tax, it’s just not close enough. I’m all ready to crap on the OLCC here in Oregon that runs booze but I don’t know, it’s not like I go to CA and the $70 cognac here is $40 or $50 there.

Yup, on all counts. My father was Safeway’s CFO working with KKR, ‘The White Knight’. I was doing an internship at Safeway corporate during that summer of 1986. Liquor Barn, truly, was only profitable during the holiday seasons, thus…they were sold to Majestic, a British company, which went belly-up with Liquor Barn. And if I remember correctly, another company THEN bought Liquor Barn…and the same happened to them. Once again, a great selection of wine, but as an entity, seemingly, almost cursed.