Limerick Lane and shipping in hot temps

Early today I was going to post that cold chain arrives before 10:30 In downtown Pittsburgh. My UPS cold chain from PAX arrived at 6 PM today. No seepage but bottles were at 80 degrees. I know Littorai doesn’t believe cold chain works.

Mine arrived in mid-June in South Florida as well. We opened a bottle and it was fine. Given the discount I chose to try one before contacting Limerick.

I applaud the winery for trying its best. But what I don’t understand is why anyone (buyer or seller) would ship in the summer. If the buyer requires it, then it’s their risk. And if the seller essentially requires it, even via cold chain, then shame on them. But why not ship in October? Seems simple.

You think it’s only Berserkers running out of storage? Sales to restaurants are way down so there is additional inventory that needs to be sold. A lot of discounts on cold chain.

Hey all,

Just a quick follow up:

1. It was never my intent to call anyone out, merely to clarify a situation and how we handled it. I am massively grateful for our customers and my intent was to highlight that gratitude by clarifying this situation for any future customers. -If there’s an issue with our product, we deal with it 100%.

2. I agree that cold chain shipping is not without it’s faults and what really vexes me is that since Covid, we are finding more and more that we can’t reliably depend on shippers which is challenging to say the least for a winery that depends on shipping for the majority of its business.

3.I am grateful and tip my hat to those who posted on this thread and shared their opinion/experience in a positive/constructive manner. I RARELY post on any public site as it seems to devolve quickly and that is not the case here.

1. If anyone else has any issues with our wines/shipping/etc please reach out to me directly and we will address your concerns straight away.

My sincerest gratitude goes to Steve who initiated this discussion with his original post as without his sharing his experience, I wouldn’t be able to address the situation.

Warmest wishes and coolest wine wishes to you all.

Jake Bilbro
Limerick Lane

Had a 2012 Hail Mary earlier this week, loved the finish on it. Wasn’t sure how long I could keep this in the cellar. I think it could go another few years.

I was hoping this thread was going to die a natural death but I feel the need to clarify a few points. It was never my intention to “ not clarify both the inaccuracy of the accusation as well as how we resolved the situation”. Jake responded to my original post showing how I was incorrect on my dates. I thought my non response to his post showed I was incorrect on my dates. I then posted I was going to email Jake privately, which I did. I then posted the issue was resolved. I do not believe I needed to explain publicly how we resolved the situation. I’m happy we could resolve the issue amicably.

Most wineries have take a LARGE financial hit losing out on sales in the On Premise segment (restaurants, hotels, resorts) as well as at their visitor center/tasting rooms and are offering allocations earlier and “online specials” on current and past releases as a way to recoup some of their large loss of revenue from the before mentioned segments. This opens up the door to losses during shipment that otherwise normally wouldn’t exist. As a consumer, I know I’d just ask the winery to hold off on shipping once the weather cools off a bit. I highly doubt any wineries are requiring wine be shipped in the summer.

I applaud Limerick Lane on them wanting to clarify a situation and explain how they handled it. Looks like they put their customer first before anything.

Just an FYI - shipped a case of rose Fed Ex Ground to Chicago on Wednesday with an ice pack per the customer’s request and it arrived today - with the wine still cool to the touch.

Cheers.

LL rocks. Full refund was unnecessary imho but exudes class.

Had a reciprocal problem. A highly regarded WA state producer was shipping club orders to southwest states after Thanksgiving. I guess they thought the entire SW was like Phoenix. I had to get on their case that here in NM most of the state is over 5000 ft in elevation, and with me living at 7400 ft and thinking about skiing that time of year, shipments were more likely to arrive frozen than heat damaged that late. They appreciated the info.

It only took two days fedex ground from SBC to Chicago? Normally takes me a week to get wine from Chicago and same as sending stuff to chicago.

Yep - shipped 2 cases. One delivered today and the other scheduled for Monday. You never know…

I have been offered Cold Chain on a couple of shipments this July, and declined. I can wait until October. I previously had two Cold Chain shipments in late May and early June. Both were delivered in late afternoon (5 ish), and while not hot, it convinced me that with the shipping channels so overloaded right now I could not count on UPS or FedEx to meet their promises.

As for Jake, he’s another stand up guy in a stand up family. Shipping is a PITA at best, so kudos to him for doing everything he can to make things work.