Lieu-Dits

To be precise, also a section of Chevalier-Montrachet - former part of Les Caillerets - is called Les Demoiselles … owned by L.Jadot and L.Latour.

Those wines are grand cru, and priced accordingly. The wine I’m referring to is a 1er cru.

No reason to leave off Guy Amiot et fils if you’re discussing PM Demoiselles.

Cheers,

Howard

Yes, I know, but the question was about special lieu-dits, and a Chevalier Montrachel Les Demoiselles falls also into that category …
(when mentioning La Cabotte)

Got it. Curious if you know, is Demoiselles one contiguous area that spans both 1er cru and GC appellations?

A good 100 years ago Les Demoiselles was a vineyard in Puligny-M. belonging to two sisters. Jadot bought the whole parcel from them and named it “the ladies”.
The upper part was classified Grand Cru (Chevalier-M.) in the late 1930ies, the lower part only Premier Cru, part of Les Caillerets.
The Grand Cru part was later owned by L.Latour and L.Jadot - a 3rd parcel by Jean Chatron who moved soil from one section to another while replanting.
This was deemed illegal by the INAO, and this section was banned from any appellation, hence the small white strip in Chevalier-M. Les Demoiselles without any vines.

Very interesting, Gerhard. Does Jean Chartron still own that parcel, as I know they sold off a good portion of their holdings over the years. If that section isn’t allowed any appellation status, I assume it is essentially worthless. How many rows are you talking about?

The last couple of times I was in Puligny, there were 20 or 30 rows (I didn’t count) ripped out immediately adjacent to Le Montrachet. Are those the Colin-Deleger or Amiot “Demoiselles” section of Cailleret?

AFAIC Chatron still owns a parcel of almost half an hectar Chevalier-M. - I´m not sure if it is entitled to be called Les Demoiselles. South of it is the small strip of illegal terroir, separating it from the Jadot and Latour LD-holdings, SEE BELOW:

Sorry, I do not know which vines have been ripped out …

When Bouchard purchased the block of Montrachet that small piece, now Chevalier Montrachet, near the wood shed (La Cabotte) was classified as Montrachet. I have heard all kinds of reasons but the best came from Luc Bouchard. He stated that the family felt the property was very good but didn’t want to pay the taxes of Montrachet which were VERY high compared with Chevalier at the time. The piece is as good if not better than much in Montrachet.

Don,
I don´t want to contradict you - just clarify the matter:
La Cabotte was never “classified” as Montrachet AC. In the 19th century the Puligny part of what was then called and sold as Montrachet was far larger (app. 10 ha), and (what is now) La Cabotte was part of that.
When in 1937 the Appellations were created La Cabotte was not classified as Montrachet but as Chevalier-Montrachet. I don´t know if it would have been possible to include it in Montrachet, but (maybe for tax reasons) it did not happen - similar to La Grande Rue in Vosne.

To be serious, I had all three Bouchard versions side by side three times (vintages 1997 2002 and 2007): La Cabotte is clearly different from both Montrachet and the regular Chevalier-M., lacking the fatness, body and length of M., showing pronounced minerality and a livelier acidity, but also more intensity and more exotic fruit than the regular Chavelier. However it is usually of high quality and better than some other (less great) Montrachets.

Thanks Gerhard. Now I see the strip in Chevalier you’re referencing. I always wondered what the story was on that piece. But the section of Cailleret that has the vines ripped out must be most, if not all, of the Demoiselles section. I kind of thought that was pretty big news and wondered why I can’t find any info about it. I’m certainly no insider, but I will be interested to see if it has been replanted when I go back later this year.

Also wondered what part is Colin-Deleger and what part Amiot?

Cheers,

Bruce

Colin-Deleger owns the first 30 rows immediately adjacent to Montrachet.

According to the WineHog:

The appellation Puligny-Montrachet Les Demoiselles 1er cru is .60 ha.

The area is divided in three plots – the southern half (now divided in two plots) were originally owned by the Colin familiy, and divided between Michel Colin and his cousin Bernard Colin 1. But in 2007 the Bernard Colin plot was sold to Maison Michel Picard 4. The northern half of Les Demoiselles (0.30 ha) – on the border to Le Caillerets – is owned by Domaine Guy Amiot.

Cellar Tracker inventory shows that there are four recent bottlings of Puligny-Montrachet Les Demoiselles 1er cru:

Domaine Guy et Thierry Amiot
Domainee Colin-Deléger
Domaine Philippe Colin
Au Pied du Mont Chauve (Maison Michel Picard??)

The short history of Les Demoiselles, again courtesy of WineHog:

The 1er cru vineyard Puligny-Montrachet Les Demoiselles is according to the official records (cadastre) a part of the vineyard Puligny-Montrachet Le Caillerets.

The term Les Demoiselles is however used both for wines coming from the 1er cru Les Demoiselles and for the Chevalier-Montrachets made in the northern part of the vineyard.

In 1913 both Louis Latour and Louis Jadot acquired a 0,51 ha plot of Le Caillerets from the widow of Léonce Bocquet. These vineyards today carries the name “Les Demoiselles” in homage to the daughters of an early 19th-century Beaune General, Adèle and Julie Voillot, who were the owners of the vineyard and died without marrying.

In 1939 Louis Jadot and Louis Latour were able to get the plots on Les Demoiselle promoted to grand cru and included in Chevalier-Montrachet. In total 1.02 ha of Les Demoiselles was promoted to Chevalier-Montrachet on that occasion.

Strictly speaking, a lieu-dit is only what is mentioned here, right? https://cadastre.gouv.fr/

We tried to enter some of these plots / lieu-duits / parcels as “subvineyards” to Weinlagen
But I suppose a lot of them are missing or wrong. Please help to add and correct.

Gerhard…thanks for the posting of your thoughts of the 3 versions ( side-by-side tastings of 3 Bouchards of vintage 1997,2002 and 2007.

I did some side-by-side tasting of the 3 whites g-crus by Prieur ( CC; Chev and Monty) for the vintages in late 1990s and early 2000s. The result mirrored yours - Monty usual has more flat, body and length. But my personal best white wine was the 1999 Chev by Prieur…( which was opened side-by-side with the CC and Monty in the same evening on 2011/09/30. As the Chev 1999 just behaved perfectly and everyone around the table was just looking at each other and shaking out heads in awe. [drinkers.gif]

That being said…all the other times, I preferred the Monty.

I agree with you generally, and it is absolutely possible that one prefers a Chevy to a Monty - simply when preferring more upfront lively acidity and minerality against the body, fat and sheer intensity of a top Montrachet. Moreover not all Montys are really top-examples … there are (or were) a lot of negociant bottlings around - and not all are really top notch, and also not all proprietors bottle top class.

“Roulot’s clos de boucheres is sick.”

I hope it recovers.

And speaking of back seat, there are some surprisingly fine wines made from ‘Montre Cul’.

Dan Kravitz