Let's Talk About Crémant, Cava and Other Sparklers

We’ve had quite a few bottles of Loimer Brut and their Brut Rosé. They give the impression of age with some “sous bois”, but delivers on fruit as well.

Interestingly, I was talking with a winemaker a couple months ago. He stated that they stopped making Pet-nats because the money you can get for them just wasnt worth the huge effort.

You are not spoiled. This feels like a fact to me.

I’ve been enjoying a bottle of NV Mas Codina Brut Reserva [Cava] the last couple of nights. It’s terrific! 12% abv, but medium bodied, cool crisp Granny Smith apple tastes, and a fine bead. A direct import from one of my favorite West Coast retailers…I look forward to getting more. There is hint of ginger in the nose too. Yum.

I had the 2014 Can Mayol Loxarel “999” Brut Nature Rosat Classic [Penedes] over the last few days. It’s a 60% pinot noir and 40% xarelo mix. Rose colored, and in a clear heavy bottle. It was ‘ok’ with some freshness, but also a hint of off dry I thought. I wouldn’t get it again, even though it is a good quaffing value. It was a bit too light for an eggplant & shrimp Thai style coconut curry.

Some personal faves :
Duran Gran Reserva is always good value.
JCB 21 Cremant de Bourgogne V.g. at the price but almost gone from KGBO
Dom Baud Cremant de Jura also v.g.

And close to home Hinterland Les Etoiles from the County.

Raventos de nit rose from Cava is beautiful. It can generally be found for around 22 beans.

I just tried a cava (Ingenius Brut Nature) from Julia Bernet, a newish producer, which was excellent.

Lauer’s late disgorged Sekts are as good a non-Champagne sparkling wine as I have had. But, for $50-60, there are a lot of excellent Champagnes (although most would not be perfectly mature as the Lauer wines are.

For $20-25, Roederer Estate are pleasant enjoyable wines.

2018 Meinklang Pinot Noir Frizzante Rosé is one of our favorites at about $23

Yes, Sekt from Germany can be excellent. In addition to Lauer, I enjoyed van Volxem.

Lambrusco di Sorbara has not been mentioned yet. I have very much enjoyed Paltrinieri’s Radici as an inexpensive but fully enjoyable sparkling wine.

My favorite cavas are from Pere Mata. I visited him in Spain and he was charming and very welcoming. Great values at less than $20/bottle and they age well. Robert Panzer (Down to Earth Wines) sells Pere Mata.

Cheers,

Hal

Agreed, great stuff. Avinyo is also on our short list.

Looking back at what I have enjoyed this year:

Bichot Cremant de Bourgogne Brut
Breze Cremant de Loire
Maurice Bonnamy Cremant de Loire
Albert Mann Cremant de Alsace
Hubert Clavenil Cremant du Jura Brut
Domaine des Aubuisieres Vouvray Brut
Domaine de la Petite Roche Saumur Sparkling (Loire)
J Laurens Cremant de Limoux Brut Rose
Domaine Joseph Cattin Brut Grand Cuvee
Domaine Joseph Cattin Cremant de Alsace
J Laurens Cremant de Limoux Brut
Cave de Bissey Cremant de Bourgogne
Clara Vie Cremant de Limoux Rose
Domaine Ruet Cremant de Bourgogne
Meyer-Fonne Cremant D’ Alsace Brut
Dr Loosen Sparkling Riesling
Charles Bove Sparkling Brut (Loire)
Charles Bove Sparkling Rose (Loire)

Much better in writing than spoken.

I forgot about Avinyo, enjoyed the Reserve Brut 2015 as well recently.

Things I’ve enjoyed:

Recaredo Cava: their reserva bottlings are delicious. Autolytic, slightly oxidative, very complex.

Peter Lauer Riesling Sekt: scarcely recognizable as riesling. Delicious high acid and piercing bubbly.

Kiràlyudvar sparkling Tokaji: rich, round, and opulent bubbles. Simpler than the other two listed here, but cheaper too. Ripe yellow apple and baking spice abounds.

Both under $20:
Yves Duport Origin’L Reserve Brut (Savoie)
Lucien Albrecht Crémant d’Alsace Brut Rosé (Alsace)

Two of their wines are actually made from high elevation Pinot Noir grown on calcareous clay/loam.

They’re the kind of winery most around here should appreciate; family owned, 100% estate fruit, organic viticulture, long lees aging, etc. etc.