Let's grind some gnat shit ... what do you mean when you use the word "Linear" in a tasting note?

I would use it more in the way of C. Mc Cart, as something positive rather than negtive.

But Doug makes a good point, which I think can be ascribed to loads of wine descriptors - minerally, e.g. Then there are the ones which to me I don’t get, though I do hear: flat (used to describe a non-sparkling wine).

What words can we all agree on?

I don’t think we need to agree on meanings, necessarily; rather, it’s simply nice to know with which words one, perhaps, shouldn’t be making an assumption as to its meaning.

The array of responses thus far is certainly interesting — I had no idea they would be this varied!

I was being audience appropriate.

After reading this thread, I searched my TN and found I’ve never used the word “linear”. Now I’m glad of it.

Copied from my favorite website :slight_smile: “Linear wines offer flavors that remain on the same path and do not change. For example, in the mouth, a dark fruited wine will not change in flavor to red berries.”

“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’ (Lewis Carroll)

Wonderfully apt quote Markus [worship.gif]

From this discussion, I have gathered that “linear” is quite simply a poor descriptor, due to it’s vagueness, ambiguity and ill-defined meaning to the wine community!

It seems to me to say what you mean with simple words that are commonly understood by anyone: long legs, musky, stemmy, cat’s pee, wet asphalt, geranium, flabby, angular, nerve.
[headbang.gif]

What’s the difference between linear and monolithic? newhere

Seems like angular could also, like linear, be held to have different interpretations.

Touché

Legs though are one of more useless ways to describe a wine. How does a long leg wine taste?

Agreed - I was being facetious. Most of us know what legs and flabby mean, but I’m note sure I’d be able to tell you what wet asphalt denotes, except that I saw it on a chart of wine terms!

My notes tend to be fairly straightforward to other wine drinkers. E.g.:

1981 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia

“Decanted for about 1.5 hours. Medium ruby with slight bricking. Very smooth and fresh with medium-light mouthfeel. Tannins fully resolved creating a polished, elegant wine. Primary cherry, strawberry and raspberry with citric (lemon-lime) undertones driving the wine. Tertiary flavors of leather, cedar, tobacco and a dusty finish. The wine was excellent on its own, but it absolutely POPPED when served with seared duck breast and a cherry-blueberry balsamic reduction sauce. It was a truly magnificent pairing! This was my first of six bottles in pristine condition. So glad I have more!”

I quite like that note, Doug! Are you on CT?

Yes - lifebreath at CT. Sometimes my reviews are REALLY simple!

Posted from CellarTracker
champagne.gif

Cool. Thanks!

That’s precisely how I’ve used “linear” in the past. Sometimes interchange it with “monochromatic”. Basically a one trick pony that lacks complexity.

Yes, I’m lining up to congratulate Ken on a fine post.

They are in the same category of meanings, but in my mind, monolithic has a “bigness” attached to it that linear doesn’t.

That’s not just hyperbola?