Let's Give Thanks--Post A Pinot Noir TN, I'll Donate To Laura's House (11/24 - 11/30)

Jay Hack, you’re a stud–thanks a lot buddy for kicking off the week and giving back. And to give Jay support and carry this forward, we got it cracking tonight. Here are three photos from this evening. The first is with Deb and Gerry Frayer, as we enjoy my last bottle of his 2005 Leigh Celllars PN, the one and only vintage that Gerry made a way back when. Next, we have Ramon, Gerry and I enjoying the 2013 Rasi PN, the wine made by Rachel Silkowski that I posted on earlier separately, and finally, at the end of the night, the decanter of 2012 Pisoni PN, as we pass the decanter and finish it off. I wish I had the other photos of the decanter being shared, I will chase those down.

OK folks, it’s time to take Jay’s lead and start posting PN tasting notes for the week. All notes are worth $5, and I will double that if you take and post with your TN a photo of yourself, with the bottle and you giving a thumbs up. Your thumb up means you are supporting Laura’s House, to a culture of respect and without violence. While we are all drinking wine here, giving thanks, we are also supporting a cause so get it on, join the effort!
Gerry, Deb and Me with the 05 Leigh Silacci PN.jpg
Down Goes The 2012 Pisoni Estate.jpg
Gerry, Me and Ramon with the Rasi PN.jpg

I’ll have to tell my wife you said that . . .

Rasi Wine, bottle no. 55/300

:slight_smile:

You guys…the pics are fantastic. I’ll cheat just a bit too…from yesterday…

2005 Tollot-Beaut Savigny Les Beaune 1er Les Lavieres

I did the right thing in slow-oxing this for 4 hours. There’s still a very evident amount of sauvage in the wine, but it gets the chance to show raspberries, cranberries, earth and coffee grounds on the nose. The palate has terrific energy and yet the tannins are beginning to smooth out. The fruit is slightly darker but still on the tart berry side, with cocoa and earth. A good 2005 to check in on and confirm that almost everything else stays in cryogenic suspension.

Margaret, great to have you post on this thread—you and the team do such good work. I have every hope of seeing you again and coming to the next FallTacular.

You are the king dude, Frankie. My deepest admiration for starting this up again.

Mike

I want to start my note off by giving thanks to Frankie for his wonderful generosity. Your long lived and continued support of this wonderful service is commendable. The world needs more people like the Murray’s! I raise my glass to Jill and Frank. [cheers.gif]

• 2010 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Silver Eagle Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/24/2014)
    This is my first time with this wine since purchasing on release. The nose has strong aromatics that I initially called gamey, but may have lead more to truffles, intermingled with fresh red fruit. Ripe black cherry with slightly heavy texture greets you up front and starts to reveal orange peel and pine needle on the mid-palate and a hint of strawberry late. On the bigger side of Pinots but seriously delicious.
  • 2011 Walter Hansel Winery Pinot Noir Cahill Lane - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/24/2014)
    Off the list at Walter Hansel Bistro. This followed a '10 Rivers Marie Silver Eagle. The Cahill is much lighter in color and body. Nose offers up hints of Cranberry, Cinnamon, Allspice. Mouth is juicy red cherry/rose petals and is wonderfully balanced with subtle acidity. Finishes slightly tart with greenish (stem inclusion?) tannins. This was extremely food friendly and really stood out for me on this night. One of the better RRV Pinots I have ever had.

Posted from CellarTracker

Bing, Roger and Brian are “3 Thumbs Up” on this worthy cause!

I’ll match Frankie’s donation on all my notes. But be ready, buddy!

Some sour red fruit, cream vanilla and a somewhat short finish. A bit tannic, and that is what lingers. One of the tasters said “metallic”, but I don’t get that.

The longer this sits in the glass, the softer it gets, as the wine seems to be broadening out. The finish is even longer now. Quite nice, but it reminds me of no SRH wine of which I’m familiar. (92 pts.)

image.jpg

Dietz, no cara, no pago! Necesitamos ver tu cara para pagar diez dolares! Esta cinco dolares ahorita! Sin embargo, les gustan dos pulgares.

todas las notas de cata escritos en español valen doble!

For English, press one. He can borrow one of the faces in my photo. We had extras.

This is the 2012 Crawford Slow Walk Pinot Noir from Sta Rita Hills. Wrote this up in another thread but great depth, color, and balance. yummy stuff.
IMAG1149.jpg

No nota, no dinero.

Alright then.

2012 Crawford Family Wines Pinot Noir Walk Slow - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (11/24/2014)
Extremely dark maroon color. Ripe cherry and tart raspberry. Fine tannins and medium acidity. Med+ finish (92 pts.)

Here is a photo of my Dad and I tonight, working through what was left of the Leigh Cellars, as well as the Copain Kiser En Haut, which is a boo-hoo letdown so far. Looks like the OC crew is getting into ths spirit, and Brig, I will send over the razor as soon as I get down with dinner. [rofl.gif]

• 2005 Leigh Cellars Pinot Noir Silacci Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Monterey (11/24/2014)
    5 years in between notes, and this is my last bottle in the cellar, too. We opened this last night, with Gerry and Deb, Ramon, Fe, Counselor and Robin, many of the old time South OC wine group, sitting there and us havign some laughs, what the hell, let’s relive the memories of the 2005, the only vintage Gerry and Deb produced. I pulled the bottle, out with the cork! This seems ready to drink, showing a good swath of fruit and a little stem still but for the most part, just mainly the fruit. I’m also drinking the dregs from the bottle’s bottom and so it’s time to call it a day and wish this bottle farewell. Beyond the wine, what matters here for me is recognizing the quality of friends and people that Gerry and Deb have been to not only my wife and I, but the local OC wine community. A great memory, two fantastic people.
  • 2010 Copain Pinot Noir “En Haut” Kiser - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (11/24/2014)
    I pulled this in support of the charity effort this week. Been over a year since I had one of these, and having several bottles of disappointing wines on the counter leftover from the party from last night, having spit tasted though 6-7, I needed something that would have some energy and satisfaction after all those bottles. Unfortunately, this leaves me a bit scratching my head. This shows simple and sweet, with blueberry, strawberry and raspberry fruit, and seemingly lacking acid so the fruit comes off a bit jammy and boring. As much as it pains me to say bad words about Kiser pinot, I’m calling it as I see it. If there is any hope, this wine will tighten up and show some muscle but I’m not hopeful. Either my palate is jacked up today, the wine is crappy, or both. Maybe I will have better things to say in a few hours or tomorrow…

20141124_174011.jpg

Frank - Nice to see the photos of good times sharing wine with friends but especially the photo of you and your dad.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

I will post some notes soon. Got to keep that money flowing for a good cause.

Brig, I will send over the razor as soon as I get down with dinner. > [rofl.gif]

Bro hot water heater is dead. Part is being overnighted and I’ll install it myself tomorrow. I’m showering at the dojo… Sad I missed golfing today.

roty.JPG
Just a pic of bottle, and happy to post this note to support a good cause.

2009 Domaine Joseph Roty Bourgogne Cuvee Pressonnier
Lush cherries, a whiff of mushroom/earth and some bitter almond upon opening. After an hour in decanter, nose shut down pretty hard. On the palate this had great balance and reasonable depth, with the rich fruit of 2009 married to subtle but persistent notes of earth and game. Best “bargain” burgundy I’ve had in quite some time. Will keep my remaining bottles for a while, as there’s lots of upside here.

Great idea Frank.
2008 Norman Hardie County Pinot Noir (Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada)
I consider Norm a friend & have supported him since he opened his eponymous winery in the pastoral & idyllic Prince Edward County, 2 hours east of Toronto at the east end of Lake Ontario. This is his 2008 County Pinot (he also makes Pinot with Niagara fruit) which was a cool year in the province.
Pale red robe, medium+ intense aromas of developed red berry, underbrush (sous bois for you francophiles) & a touch of bitumin. On the palate there’s medium- acid, low tannin & medium light body. Very well put together with no tail-off of intensity on the palate. Quite feminine & delicate as expected. Excellent typicity and good quality for the AFWE.
Ready to drink.

attachment=0]Hardie08.jpg[/attachment]

Since I don’t take sefies, my stunt double offered his services.
Haydentaste2.jpg
Hardie08.jpg

2005 Clos Salomon Givry 1er Cru

Poured two Burgundy glasses out & let the wine breathe around an hour. The nose was unyielding at first, but opened to some spicy red fruited deep aromatics. The palate is bright & fruity for a 2005. Tart cherry & rhubarb with some spiced barrel hints emerging on the back end. Tremendous freshness & gorgeous mid palate weight. Served it with our take on the Zuni Cafe roast chicken which is a rock solid pair for this wine.

Kudos to Frank & everyone posting so far! Remember, just for posting a TN, you are in a random draw for a case of rare beer from me.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I retract my disrespect. :slight_smile:

Thank you for participating you guys. Keep it up.