Let Wine Rest after Shipping?

what if you swing the basket!?

even a control is really tough with wine. theres obviously no proof one way or the other and no way to go back and tell, but its probably as likely that what was experienced from this car ride was just bottle variation as travel shock. the world will never know.

I do the opposite in pursuit of science. Since I want to ensure homogeneity of experiences, I make sure to take all of my wines out for a long drive right before I drink them. Youā€™ve got to eliminate those variables if you want to keep it scientific!

Well done, John!

The one thing Iā€™d say in response to where the thread is going (ā€œI donā€™t know if itā€™s real, but why not wait a few weeks just to be safeā€), is thatā€™s fine with your new shipments of young wines, which usually need the bottle age anyway.

But the real shame is if people donā€™t take their good wines with them for travel and vacations because of fear of travel shock. I take wine everywhere I go, and itā€™s always fine, including the day my flight arrived. I hope people donā€™t get deterred from that because of this travel shock notion. Beyond that, I think the debate is mostly academic.

+1
Very well done Kyle.

If you swing it hard and fast enough, in a large circle, it acts as a centrifuge, separating wine from sediment for all your guests to enjoy!

Some folks appear to think ā€œroad sicknessā€ is a myth.

I believe that it is very realā€¦at least when a bottle travels a thousand miles to my apartment!

I try to give any recent arrival a week to ten days before I pop it.

I think it was our dear departed Ron Kramer who once strapped a few bottles into a paint agitator to do a side by side comparison. He didnā€™t find a difference.

Some people will also state there is no ā€˜evidenceā€™ for Godā€¦

On confirmation bias, as I said in my original remark, when I experienced this, I had no notion that travel shock existed. I first heard the term when I told the person who had sold me the wine about the experience. I still do not know that I believe that travel per se causes the phenomenon. As I keep saying, I was reporting an experience.

Iā€™m not sure what to make of Markusā€™ remark. First, since I keep saying this is anecdotal evidenceā€“which isnā€™t evidence at allā€“I am making no evidential claim. I am just describing an experience.

Second, Iā€™m among the people that think there is no evidence for god. I fail to see the analogy. But that discussion probably doesnā€™t belong on a wine board.

Travel shock would be the easiest thing to demonstrate in blind tastings, yet as far as I know, nobody has ever successfully done it, and the only blind tastings Iā€™ve seen have reached the opposite conclusion.

Iā€™d bet good money against anyone who wants to see if they can find travel shocked wines in a blind tasting. Would any proponent of the theory bet on himself or herself doing so?

Buy three of a wine from a retailer or winery across the country, then buy three more of the same wine from the same retailer or winery, and try all six blind the day after the last three arrive under identical conditions. Letā€™s see who could pick out the the new arrivals as being worse than the first three.

Wereā€™s Mike Pobega when we need him?

All those wines we had at the Falltaculr pre-Dinner sure failed the shock didnā€™t they? Just horrid, all of them. newhere

I store off site. So if I believed in travel shock Iā€™d also have to let wine rest a month after bringing it home in my car from my off site storage. No thanks.

I mean, Iā€™m going to a wine dinner across town tonight. I guess I should ask the host if I can drop off the wine and then return in a couple of weeks to drink it with him after itā€™s settled down.

I wish I found this surprising.

I have a similar story related to the now defunct restaurant Cru in NYC. Cru had one of the best collections of older wines, particularly Barolo. The wine director and sommeliers were very proud of their stock of Barolos 30-50 years old, for good reason, and pricing was pretty fair. I assumed perhaps naively that their younger somms were properly trained in handling these old bottles, especially given the absolute necessity to allow old Barolo to remain undisturbed before decanting off the sediment.

The first time there, we ordered IIRC a 1966 or 1967 Marcarini Brunate, which I asked to be decanted. The sommelier disappears to the cellar and returns a few minutes later casually holding the bottle horizontally, flips it vertically onto his workstation to open the bottle, and proceeds to decant the wine. Watching from 20 feet away, I inwardly cringe, but like you I remained silent. The wine was grumpy and murky and never recovered over the course of the meal, but the bottle otherwise looked to be in perfect condition. I should have said something but didnā€™t.

I went back to Cru a number of times after that, but anytime I ordered old Barolo, I gave very explicit instructions about how to handle the bottle. No more chances.

lol. you know where I stand. champagne.gif

I let them rest until I get thirsty.

I remember someone doing this with a group a while back, and they slightly preferred the bottles that had been shipped over those that hadnā€™t.

Iā€™ve come to think the whole travel shock idea started as an excuse made by wholesalers when their wines donā€™t show well.

Finding something that fits the theory with aged wines tells us absolutely nothing. Aged wines are quite variable.

I like this idea and/or telling customers about travel shock allows the wines to bottle age longer after being released too early and/or it hurts a purchaserā€™s ability to return a faulty wine since months (or longer) have passed.

Not sure why no one else mentioned this, but Paul certainly nailed one thing down - most wineries are bottling wines sooner and sooner for economic reasons, and they ā€˜knowā€™ that these wines are not ready to drink when they ship them to you. They implore you NOT to open them, sometimes because they have just been bottled and the SO2 is too prevalent and sometimes because they know the wines are so backwards that they know the wine will perform better with some bottle age.

One does wonder in this situation if a consumer might expect a ā€˜discountā€™ because, to me, this is kinda like buying ā€˜futuresā€™, no? [soap.gif] [stirthepothal.gif] [wow.gif]

I do believe ā€˜travel shockā€™ is truly impossible to verify scientifically, even with the blind tasting concept that Chris S has suggested. Hereā€™s the deal - and we all know this but forget about it - each and every bottle is unique. Period. How often have you had 2 bottles of 10+ year old wines that performed EXACTLY THE SAME side by side? It is just so rare that that happens due to the matrix of things that can change a wine - variances due to corks, variances due to unfiltered wines, etc.

I love the conversation and love the suggestions but at the end of the day, enjoy a wine when you want to enjoy it (and make sure you have a backup if any wine performs ā€˜poorlyā€™) [cheers.gif]

Cheers!