Learning To Appreciate Austerity In Wine?

And your knowledge of the particular wine and it’s likely evolution. An austere young Corton-Charlemagne isn’t the same as an underripe, overcropped, underfruited wine from someplace else that will never go anywhere.

That’s because you’re drinking too well. Test that theory on a $15 Rosemount. neener

Why would I spend $15 on Rosemount?

restaurant markup

A great question/topic, Michael.

I can’t really speak to the initial allure, other than to say that it seemed the norm for fine wine when I began studying seriously (30+ years ago). Most of the highly regarded wines then had a bit of push-back to them: acidity and minerality for the whites, and tannic structure for the reds. Additionally, fruit preservation (and enhancement) wasn’t as common as it is now: it was not a widely shared goal (at least to the extent that we see today), nor were there as many tools available to get the job done on the production side. Finally, the levels of ripeness desired/achievable were lower than they are today.
All this combined to make wines with less overt fruitiness, hung on a more “austere” framework.

For me, I guess I’m an old dog who can’t be taught anything new.
While I understand what folks are doing these days in making these more hedonistic (indulgent? opulent?.. what’s the prefered antonym for “austere”?) I find it hard to warm up to them. I prefer more austere wines on both visceral and cerebral levels. I’d rather not be this way, as it limits buying options. But that can’t be helped.

Yes, but still you can enjoy the company of such a man. Not because when you see him/her you immediately get in good mood, but perhaps because you have learned to appreciate him/her for his/her qualities.
The same applies to wines, I believe. You sometimes encounter wines which give little immediate pleasure, but a lot of enjoyment, especially if you take the time it needs to appreciate them.
I like the descriptor.