La Fete du Champagne 2019

I don’t love the Beguines young but I will make sweet love to Fac Simile. So I guess I am agreeing with him in part

I’ve been buying Beguines and sitting on them. Shit, I might as well open one and share it with some dorks and see what we think. Have passed on the Facsimile, as if I recall, is pushing close to $175, right?

1 Like

Thanks for your take on 2011 Brad. Any generalisations on 2013?

I do. I think the 2011 is a bit more balanced and expressive with a lot of fruity, honeyed apples and touches of cinnamon. It drinks very well right now and has structure and balance for aging as well.

2013 is a great vintage for the Cote des Blancs and a good vintage elsewhere. In general, the Cote des Blancs did better in 2013 than it did in 2012 and everywhere else did better in 2012 than it did in 2013. An easy cheat sheet on 2013 is to buy BdB.

Appreciate your insights Brad. Many thanks.

Prevost confirmed the Les Beguines being served were 2015 and 2016. If I remember correctly he indicated that the 2015 was a very small production and I got the impression that you would be unlikely to taste it outside the Fete du Champagne.

I actually liked the Fac Simile 2016 the best of what was a great table; a minority view I think. Prevost said the Fac Simile was his way getting around the rule of no red Champagne.

1 Like

terrible wines, nothing to see here, move on. :slight_smile: . Climax is a unique Champagne - will be interesting to see how it ages. A rare beast.

BTW, I find Les Barres Meunier one of Champagne’s great examples of the grape, just like Prevost…I’m surprised by the lackluster report on the PN multi-vintage cuvee from C-T.

-mark

I’d happily buy the 2015 3% dosage Chartogne-Taillet Les Barres. Are they selling them separately based on dosage? or blending them all together?. If they’re blending, I’d probably want to taste it again.

RT

The bottling I got from the West coast was 4-5g/l.

I have to admit - after tasting the PN Les Barres release tonight, it is not in the same league as the Meunier cuvee.

-mark

I picked up one Les Barres this weekend. I thought I had the PM, and had 3 in my hand but realized it was the PN bottling and put the other 2 bottles back. I credit the posts above for tipping me off to the subtle difference that I happened to recall when I was checking out with the bottles at the register.