La Festa del Barolo

Ken,

Wondering if that was Mike Smith from Myriad, Quivet, 12C amongst others?

Man I knew I should have wore a name tag. I thought the night was a direct tribute to Antonio. Such good energy the man brings to wine.

Sounds right! Why can’t he have an easy to remember American name like Cholakis or V@stol@? [scratch.gif]

The 71 Giacosa was indeed brought by us and it was a 750 with no vintage tag, it feel off after it was being passed around. I think I poured you on that Ken(me = jolly some would say, bald guy with a goatee). Sorry I didn’t properly introduce myself, I was in a Nebbiolo/Champagne trance, my manners were not what they should have been. The 71 was so earthy and refined, an eye opening bottle.

Laurent Boidevezi and Nicole brought the 71 Oenos, that Champagne was smoking good.

Cheers!
Chris

I remember you, Chris. I don’t recall hearing your last name or that you work for Crush, but I sure do remember you. Many thanks to you and to them!

Do you recognize your own hand?

On man, if I would’ve known I was going to be a hand model for part the evening I would have gotten a manicure.

Things got really wild later on. I won’t go into details, but suffice it to say, Kelly was sure glad he got a pedicure! [snort.gif]

BTW I am drinking some 1990 G. Rinaldi Barolo right now that was left on our table!

Very nice!

BTW I am drinking some 1990 G. Rinaldi Barolo right now that was left on our table!

Come on, dude! You bogarted that wine!

-Al

I was there and saw your double mag making the rounds. I guess I am not quite sure that I understand that a barolo dinner was the appropriate venue for Sagrantino.

I guess those of us who brought Champagne, Red Burgundy or Northern Rhones were even more inappropriate.

Yeah, you suck, Ray!!! [swearing.gif]

But thanks for the tastes! flirtysmile

Well, it was the Festa del Barolo after all. Not the Festa of Impress Us With Your Old La Tache. I’m just sayin.

I know that Roberto Conterno greatly enjoyed a glass of 1968 Mastroberardino Taurasi that my boss shared with him at the event, saying he had been hoping to try this wine for many years, its birth year wine he had always wanted to taste. Glad we brought it as its nice to thank a wine maker for all his or her accomplishments with a wine they have always wanted to experience. It wasn’t Festa of “Impress one of the greatest wine makers in Barolo/world with your Old Taurasi” but it worked out quite nicely.

And sure us civilians get to drink wine from where ever we want, when we want so maybe we should stick to Barolo for the evening but all these Barolo wine makers live and breath the stuff all of their lives. Maybe whoever brought all those La Taches and such were thinking of the producers who were secretly saying, please no more nebbiolo, I am in New York, where is the Champagne and Burgundy!?

Or maybe not, it was fun none the less.

Cheers!
Chris

P.S. After hearing a great story from Luca Vietti, next year I plan on bringing a couple bottles of old Opus. I hope you don’t look at us crossly from across the room when we are laughing in the corner about baywatch girls and drinking old Opus. Instead come join us for a glass and a laugh.

OMG! I hope you didn’t drink any of that Giacosa Barbaresco that I brought!

Come on, Joe. Lighten up. These same guys brought a shitload of great Nebbiolo that you had a chance to try as well.

Joe,

I have never met you - and based on your posts, that is probably a good thing - but I can assure I have no need or desire to impress you.

Several of us have previously dined with a number of the winemakers that were in attendance and we knew that a few of them are big Champagne lovers and look forward to drinking some older examples that they normally don’t get a chance to drink and enjoy.

Roberto Conterno and several of his associates were sitting at our table, so in addition to our ghastly Champagne, La Tache and Mouline, we brought six vintages of Monfortino from '41 through '78 to respectfully share and drink with them as well as another dozen plus bottles, mags and jero of other great Barolo.

My view on life is that it is for living, and that good wine, whatever region it may come from, is a good catalyst for that. You should try it some time.

Oh, btw, the person who brought the La Tache brought '90 and '91, so he wasn’t trying to impress with “old” LT. [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Mike Steinberger just posted an interesting, and in my view, even-handed and useful, blog regarding historical WA ethics and La Festa and similar events being run by Antonio under the WA aegis. I was particularly impressed with Antonio’s perspective on this. Sadly, you were not mentioned, Ray! www.winediarist.com

And Ray, I invite you to try and impress me with your old La Tache, at Barolo events or otherwise, but be forewarned: I am hard to impress. I require 1990 or older La Tache, and 1962 or better quality!

I’m in France at a GJE event, but just read Steinberger’s excellent piece.

Interestingly, two people here brought the topic up to me and one was notably surprised that TWA would engage in a for profit event like this, pointing out that some winemakers came from California in order to meet (nuzzle up) to Galloni.

Not sure whom they were referring to, but I met Jamie Kutch and Thomas Rivers Brown there. Both are well-known as long-time fans of Nebbiolo. I personally have corresponded extensively with TRB about Barolo and he has contributed a number of photos of old Barolo to my site over the years. Last time I got together with Jamie, we drank Barolo. He brought the 1989 G. Conterno Cascina Francia.

maybe Jamie is trying to cozy up to you Ken for your impressive cellar ?