Kutch Pinots--A Deep Dive Into The 2014s and A Few 2013s

Understood, though I thought you had tried a few others recently.

I did post a note on the 2015 SC Sans Soufre. Did you see that? My regular Sonoma Coasts are at my offsite, so probably not trying one until fall.

2015 or 2016?

2016, sorry.

Frank,

Turns out I kept back one bottle of the 2015 Sonoma Coast, so I will try to get to it soon. Really soon.

Are the 2014’s still a no go? That’s the only vintage I have. Upon trying one a few months after receiving them, I put them out of my mind as it was giving very little satisfaction. That was the SC I think.

Chris, I’d say open a couple now and bring your perspective back to us, whether it be here, or over on CT, etc. I’ve tasted Dougie and SC more recently, yet it’s been some time since I opened Bohan and Falstaff. My advice would be to use CT and see what some of the comments say, which would include my TNs over there inside of that mix of reviews.

I do want to get all the 2014s open again over the next few months and see how they are doing. It’s good PN weather here in So Cal.

Thanks for the reminder, forgot :slight_smile: I had 10 bottles of 2013 SC in the cellar so popped one this weekend. Quite expressive but still light on it’s feet. Does nothing but get better as the night goes on. Also popped a 2016 rosé, think we prefer the '15. While we were at it had our first bottle of the '14 chardonnay.
Nice contributions to a good weekend.

I’ve had a Bohan and 2014 Sonoma Coast in the last six months and they were excellent. No rush on them, but no problem opening one now if you can be patient following it.

Buek, I just pulled the cork on one of my 2015 SC. I’ll see Brig later too, so perhaps we can both give you an impression through a new TN. I’ll post one tomorrow and then you’ll be empowered by all of my soaring wisdom to make the best decision possible.

'15 was da bomb. Sick that it’s an AVA and at that price point. Fitch was all over that bottle like a hawk.

I think’ 15 is shaping up to be solid across cali.

Here is my TN from the bottle Brig and I drank over cards yesterday. And BTW, congratulations to fellow WBer and old-friend, Sean Kennedy, with whom we were celebrating his upcoming marriage in 2 weeks. Y/day was a bit of an informal bachelor party with some cards and bottles. Good fun.

As to this 2015 Sonoma Coast, drinking spot-on delicious and for $39, it’s terrific for value too.

• 2015 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (6/4/2017)
    Gave this about 2 hours of slow ox and then we drank at room temp (about 68f). This bottle showed as great as the previous one, which was really an eye opener for how good it was. Light stem on the aromatic but merely a seasoning, not a dominant note. This is juicy, with slate and red berry and plum. Finishes tangy and with plenty of structure. I’m believing now that this is the best SC that Jamie has made to date. Very good and will continue to shine as it ages.

Posted from CellarTracker
20170603_165609.jpg

Thanks for the check-in, Frank—been wondering when to pop mine. Looks like lots of fun was had.

Sante,

Mike

So I opened a 2015 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast tonight, and I am on the other side of the fence. It’s been about 90 minutes so far, and all I get is stem aspects. It’s green tobacco and floral on the nose, and all spice on the palate. There is nothing that says Pinot Noir to me. It just screams over ambitious winemaking. From an early days perspective this is my least favorite Kutch Pinot Noir.

Buek, well, this is a great example of palate diversity. I know your takes to be honest and candid so we’re just landing on different perspectives as to this wine. One thing that stands out to me is that in my 2 experiences, the wine performed consistently. Be interested to see if your next bottle, whenever that might be, varies from what you wrote above.

Thanks for adding your viewpoint, appreciate it.

I, too, appreciate your trying it and posting your take on it, David—I know you’ve tried a lot of Jamie’s wines and have been very candid about your thoughts on them.

Salud,

Mike

Trust me guys, I was pretty shocked.

I have a glass left, and will try it tonight. If anything changes I will let you know.

Less green tonight, more floral. Still not showing much fruit.

So, where is the Wine Berserker approved list of replies that I am OK to select from here? I think if I know them by now, I have these to use:

1. Buek, you must be wrong–I didn’t find any of my bottles to taste this way.

2. Buek, you must have an off bottle, as it should not taste this way.

3. Buek, I think you’re posting on the wrong bottle, and must be mistaken. It should not taste this way.

Or, we continue to differ here and no single person (or critic for that matter) should be relied on for what is right/true. This is why allowing diversity of opinion and multiple data points have value.

Turns out I should have slow-oxed the wine. :wink:

1. Maybe it tastes that way to “Buek” and he’s right :wink: