Kutch Chard - Wow

Aight, here be my TN.

• 2014 Kutch Chardonnay - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (11/21/2016)
    Opened about 30 mins ago, getting better with air too as it gets some O2 love. Despite what some have said, there is some oak here but I call this out only to add some diversity to the notes. Just a hint of vanilla bean, a seasoning. Rocky, I can see the chalky comment that others are making, too. Yellow apple, lime. What grabs me in this bottle is all the intensity, the stuffing and yet there is nothing heavy here. It’s just kind of a clean energy that cuts right through the core of the wine. Finishes creamy, with the shading of oak again. After about an hour or so, we finished this over dinner, when I felt like the structure faded and the creamy, limey tones carried the finish. Enjoyed this a lot.

Posted from CellarTracker

First thing I thought of when I read this note (from a stylistic point of view) was one of Jamie’s fave white burg producer - Ramonet!

We popped and poured shortly after receiving. One of the best chards I have tasted in a long while. A stronger backbone than the Rhys.

I’ll add to the chorus singing praise to this wine.
I noted the rich texture of the wine, which may have been a sign of oak treatment. As I recall, there was a fullness to the wine but without it being flabby.

2014 Kutch Chardonnay - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (11/17/2016)
Pop and pour and served without food. Followed for about 2 hours.
Nice golden straw color. Nose of white flowers and some freshly cut pineapple.
Tropical fruits of pineapple and fresh lychee with a good lemon and granny smith apple component. Acidity to give the wine lift. Rich texture and a long finish. This is delicious.

The wine was aged for 12 months in 20% new French oak. The balance was older, neutral French barrels purchased from Dumol.

The new oak cooper (Atelier) that we used is very VERY subtle. The reductive characteristic in the nose has sometimes been confused with oak. I am not telling anyone what they smell and taste, just sharing some information.

Some say Ramonet, some say…

[attachment=0]IMG_5182.PNG[/attachment]
IMG_5182.PNG

I’ve had the privilege of having many Kutch chards and pinots courtesy of fellow board member Mike Grammer. The only proper conclusion is that we should clone Jaime and not Dolly the sheep so we can have grrat Cali wine forever. He along with Littorai and Montelena make this recent Burgundy convert very hard to remain faithful and I suspect my Siduris are only going to add to this first world problem of all.

• 2014 Kutch Chardonnay - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (11/23/2016)
    This is shockingly good. I was predisposed to like it as I’m a Kutch Pinot fan. But this is simply the best Chardonnay QPR I’ve had in years, and possibly ever. Extremely Burgundian, a touch reductive, great nose, gorgeous palate. Will drink another soon to confirm.

Posted from CellarTracker

I’m feeling stupid right now for only buying 3.

I’ll have to see if I can find a bottle of this. Sounds yummy.

Decanted ~ 2H, served with and without Thanksgiving dinner out of Burg Sommelier Stems. Very well-crafted, wine just oozes quality. Very little oak but did get whiff of matchstick in the nose. Nowhere near as much flint as you might find, say, in a PYCM bottle though. Apple, apple everywhere: some sour, loads of green, bit of baked. It’s linear and focused but not evocative of Chablis; it’s also not like Aubert or Rochioli.

Could not find pineapple, and I looked. Would not describe this wine as creamy but it has good mouthfeel. I can find a touch of that chalk in the finish. Mel liked it more than I did but we both agreed it was way better with food than without. I suspect time sideways will be kind.

I agree wholeheartedly Glenn that some sideways time will be very kind to this wine as it certainly has the requisite structure.

I feel dumber for buying none.

Don’t worry, Russ will share a bottle with you :wink:

You’ll just have to be videotaped reading a prepared statement beforehand.

Having this tonight. I love the intensity of fruit here and also the balance of acid to fruit. There is no overt oak. A+ effort from Jamie. Gorgeous.

Oh yeah how many? This is the first commercial release and I think maybe he’s done one or two small lots of a barrel or two in the prior vintages before this first release.

I opened one at Batard a couple of weeks ago on a BYO Monday with my uncle. His 2006 Grivot Clos Vougeot was corked. :frowning:

I agree it had a profile like a 1er Cru white burg and to me was lean, tight, minerally and acidic popped and poured. It opened up over time with an hour plus but I plan to sit on mine for a while, maybe revisit one this summer but wait up to a year before the next. I will now be buying Kutch on an annual basis again as well. flirtysmile

This wine was served blind in a flight of '14 chard three ways last night - with Henri Boillot Les Charmes and Goodfellows Richards Cuvee (oregon). This wine was my fav of the three. Nice intensity, great acid, and all around really well made.

This wine is really good.
It has Grand Cru intensity to me.
I can see the thoughts that this reminds folks of Burgundy.
It is not Burgundy however. It is Santa Cruz Chard!

FWIW.

I think Tran is mistaking this with Pinots from Kutch. He does have a chance to try lots of great Chard from Mike Grammer!