Kosta Browne 2014 SVD release

Larry - it’s no more ‘special’ than any of their SVDs. It’s just a unique blend. It didn’t cost them more to make it. The original idea was to offer something unique to the first 200 members of their mailing list. Apparently, they’ve decided, after 12 years, to change the equation. IMHO, this hurts long time buyers like me. Being retired and living on a fixed income makes this a very tough nut to crack. Fortunately, I’ve been buying (and drinking) 4-Barrel for 11 vintages, so I’ve had ample opportunities to get them into my cellar.

By definition the 4-Barrel should be better than the other SVD’s. A blend of the best 4 Barrels in the winery. Clearly still in the KB style but a cut above the other wines at least in Michael Browne’s opinion. BTW I got offered a bottle for the first time!

Tom

I was offered opportunity to wish for Gap’s Crown Magnum. $225 - a $45 premium over two 750s.

The magnum bottles are nicely silkscreened!!

Interesting… I was offered to wishlist mags for the appellation wines in the Spring, but not for the SVDs, in spite of my buying history of buying at least 2 cases per year. Hmmm.

Bud,

I totally understand where you’re coming from. Luckily there are plenty of other producers out there making wine at a more reasonable price point :wink:

That said, I’m still curious what you or anyone else had their allocations cut at all. Or was it simply the price increase?

Cheers.

My allocation was pretty much the same as last year - 25 guaranteed bottles.

Just the price increase for long time customers. 4barrel was meant to be a nice perk or thank you for long time support. Almost $150 shipped in is too high. Similar quality to their other wines. To me it is the principle of what they did.

Received a nice allocation of the SVD wines but struggling to justify $90 a bottle. I was on the waiting list for a number of years, got my first allocation 3 years ago, and now when I am finally getting some decent allocation, may be out because of the high Price to value. Too bad as KB makes beautiful wines. But, as others stated, lots of other options now available.

Just checked and I don’t have many guaranteed bottles, lots of wish list. I had to slow down for a few years as I have a lot of KB in my cellar. Only bought 39 bottles the last 4 orders.

The League of Designates is breaking. It has already begun. He will try to take the 4 Barrel. You know of whom I speak. One by one, it will destroy them all!

Yikes! Added $40 more for shipping to my location, further increasing the premium over two 750s.

Odd . . . in the Spring when I got one of the magnums it was only an additional $7.25.

I guess I’m glad I wasn’t offered a magnum!!!

I was buying them about 10 years ago, and wasn’t as fond of the 4 barrel compared with their other offers, so I stopped buying that bottling.

I don’t buy anything these days, I couldn’t keep up with the pricing. I enjoyed the wines though.

Yeah . . . I declined it. Too much money for a nice looking bottle.

Just got 2 of the 4 bottles I wishlisted.