Koehler-Ruprecht leaves the VDP

somebody’s a little bit excitable, Lars; not to worry…

And someone never misses a chance to throw a shot.

I just do not care for the VDP and their convoluted rules that continue to make things even more bizarre at every turn. And no, I really don’t want to spend $60 a bottle or more to support their misguided model. I can do as well or better for less money with Austrian Riesling, and stick to my Kabinett, Spätlese and Auslese purchase in Germany. Nobody does that as well, not even close. So I will pay for uniqueness, rather than pay even more for something I can find elsewhere.

well, when a fellow tees himself up like that, the temptation to holler ‘Fore!’ occasionally becomes too great…

David, I think there are other unique German Rieslings beyond the sweet Kabinett, Spätlese, and Auslese wines, which, by the way, the VDP propagates in their new classification. See David Schildknecht’s ii) in my article on Koehler-Ruprecht. The VDP is overlooking light-bodied dry-ish and off-dry wines, not low-alcohol, sweet ones.

fond nostalgia for years past when I contributed to the delinquency
of Bernd Philippi by bringing him CA Cabernets…

Al Drinkle’s earnest plea to the VDP on its ever-changing classification, followed by David Schildknecht’s sharp analysis of many of the issues.

To highlight the exchange between Al Drinkle and David Schildknecht from the above post—in particular, Schildknecht’s analysis of what’s to come—I published an article titled “A Moratorium on New VDP Construction?