Kid Charlemagne

I’m missing all of the inside jokes here.

Neither here nor there, but in high school I saw whiz guitarist Larry Carlton (who plays on the Steely Dan track) do his instrumental version of “Kid Charlemagne” at a beloved but defunct L.A jazz club called The Baked Potato.

Made quite an impression on a young, ready-to-be-molded mind.

Yeah, but is there gas in the car?

OK, for all the wet-behind-the-ears young 'uns here who think music started with Kanye West, here ya go:

I’ve tried, but she just rolls her eyes…

OK, ok, Jeremy. But is there gas in the car?

Yes there’s gas in the car

why does everyone stop and stare at my technicolor motorhome?

As a German guy who speaks barely English I didn’t understand a word until the connection to Steely Dan was mentioned. Meanwhile I thought everybody is drunk or I lost the last bit of my senses.

The man is wise.

As Twain said: “Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated”
The Baked Potato lives!!

I don’t recall it ever closing.
If only we could get the Jazz Bakery back, or Atlas supper club. Too many defunct jazz spots.

Larry Carlton recorded one of his live albums there. I love his solo on Kid Charlemagne. It just kind of rambles and interestingly just kind of fades out at the end. I’ve actually see no him play with Steely Dan three times now. Once during an L.A. performance of the Royal Scam album, once when Herrington (who is a great technical guitarist but doesn’t have the “feel” of L.C.), and once at the Classic West show at Dodger Stadium which Becker missed and never returned. God bless his soul, but Carlton and Herrington on guitar was actually better than most recent Steely shows.

I’ve always appreciated that there’s a solid crossover between the wine board crowd and Steely fandom. Most fans know that the song was based on Owsley “Bear” Stanley renowned LSD designer and manufacturer. His birthday is tomorrow.

Your patrons have all left you in the red
Your low rent friends are dead

Did you feel like Jesus?

Duh. Of course you are right. Brain blip. Was thinking of that other Valley club … The Palomino.

Steely Dan is not to everyone”s taste but I love the cool cerebral quality playing off the funky/swing notes. Like many idiosyncratic wines I suppose. [cheers.gif]

Owsley. Oh, dear me.

This thread is killing me.

Clicking on Alan’s link almost a month ago and listening to Kid Charlemagne for the first time in many, many years has put my brain into Top-40 “Heavy repeat” since.

No more than two hours goes by, and I come in at the “If by chance you crossed a diamond with a pearl…”

How do I make it stop?

Listen to “Hey Nineteen” if you want to make it stop. [highfive.gif]

Micro-dose?

Steely Dan is doing a 9-10 show residency at the Venetian this spring. Becker is gone, but that’s a great setting to see them in. I went last year.

Better, try Baylon Sisters. Listen carefully to the just-out-of sync displaced drum rhythm, the musicianship, the lyrics. Then watch the Grammies tonight, and shed a tear for what has become of “music”.