Kevin Hart Guesses Cheap vs. Expensive Wines

Yeah, he really has charisma, and can give answers that are both entertaining & honest at the same time - which is a rare trait.

As soon as camera was off… "Hey Kevin, you want to buy some of that $300 dollar wine?
Know thy client, price irrelevant, I have heard him say he wants to be a billionaire.

Hart is is super talented man operating at a humorous full speed all the time.

I’d say more than 2 minutes but I think the intended audience is not people who post on Wine Berserkers. I know a lot of people that enjoy a glass every now and then, or would like to enjoy wine a bit more than they do (but are intimidated by wine culture, etc.) and a show like this will have appeal. Plus, as many others have mentioned, at least this episode is really fun and funny because Kevin Hart is very charismatic, funny and wickedly smart. (And I like Andrea Mack as a host too).

I really enjoyed it and hope he ad’s more celebrity interviews and becomes similar to Hot Ones.

There are two kinds of $7 vs. $70 tasting wines on the $70 side…wines that have all of the expensive technique applied and wines that have a market following driving the price because of their intrinsic quality, which may include some technique. I think you could make this a challenging tasting for even experienced palates but love the general premise. I have spent most of the pandemic giving wine to the neighbors. I never tell them how much it costs only that I think it will go with xxx cuisine. The read it gives me on their actual preferences is fantastic. We all universally love Champagne, by the way. I couldn’t really avoid cost knowledge on the Dom but they had no idea what Krug was. Good stuff.

fred

I think my 2001 and 2004 Poggio di Sotto were something like $75 and $90, respectively. I tend to try to find wines I love in the $30-$50 range, then continue to buy them up to about $100. Occasionally I might even buy a single bottle of the same wine in a great vintage at up to $150 as a “splurge”…but tend to drop them once they hit (or even approach) $100. Wines like Flaccianello, Chave Hermitage, Poggio di Sotto, Montevertine Le Pergole Torte, and Casanova di Neri Tenuta Nuova are all wines I originally purchased for under $50 and had to stop buying. But there are always wines to be found for $50 that are outstanding, and rarely do I find that $100+ wines justify the price (at least given my personal budget constraints). That said, I obviously miss out on great Burgundy…and have always focused on Italy and Spain for great wines that are “undervalued” (in the sense that they overdeliver for the $$).

I wonder if this would go over the same with sparkling wines.

Silver lining is that for some wines in this price bracket, the rise in price of back vintages on secondary markets have been slower than the price increases for new vintages. Recently acquired some 2001 Altesino Montosoli and 2001 Tignanello which are just fabulous, and both for significantly under current release pricing. don’t ask me why this is the case but if you gave me the option I’d gladly pick the wine that has 20 years of age on it and is at or near peak.

Watching this video of whoever the Somm is at this Michelin restaurant should be ashamed of themselves. This is the kind of gatekeeping that needs to stay out of the wine world. Jay although his channel is pretentious sounding he has always seemed very friendly, earnest, and generous.

A somm refusing service to a diner because they don’t like their opinion is amateur hour.

1 Like

Wow…

At a Michelin restaurant too… yikes.

This guy is more patient than I am. Congrats to him for toughing it out and still having a somewhat enjoyable evening out with his wife.

I love that guy’s attitude and well played. He has a fun video where he does a blind tasting price switcharoo with his mentor. It was fun watching him like, then really like, then go gaga over the better wine (and getting a bit shitfaced) as it began opening up before the bottle was revealed to be a 2000 HB.

1 Like

I would’ve done the same, but tbh not have thought to separate the wine and food bill.

2 Likes

Their blind tastings are great fun and his channel especially trips to Costco reminds me of the spirit of WBers.

I really like Jay’s channel.

Peter also has great interviews. The other Dr. that appears on Jay’s channel also makes some pretty good Youtube videos. I really enjoys when he goes to wineries and talks with the winemakers.

I like that Peter gets into drinking the wine. I find the tastings where people are too analytical less fun; I mean at the end of the day people do it because they really enjoy wine.

I love his tangents… he’ll go JAY! … you’re going to get me drunk and then my wife will be mad that I’m drunk and we’ll get divorced! Then Jay will roleplay his female persona :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, they’re serious about wine, but not TOO serious. A lot of fun is to be had with wine.

Maybe I missed it in the video since I wasn’t fully focused on it, but did the somm make it clear he wasn’t pouring the wine because his views were challenged? Or was it just bad customer service - which isn’t excusable, but has a very different connotation.