Keller taking over 0,7 ha of Piesporter Schubertslay

Yes, this was my reaction as well. But I suppose a wine of the exact same quality which has Keller on the label will command a much higher price so the deal makes economic sense for them.

Up to 10x if it goes to auction!

1 Like

You were spot on here!

It is a shame that none of the top young growers have gotten pieces of any of the great old vineyards of the Rheingau. Sites like Erbacher Marcobrunn, Rauenthaler Baiken, Steinberger, Schloss Johannisberg and Schloss Vollrads. For many generations, these were among the top vineyards in Germany and now hardly anyone ever thinks about them. They could use a jolt of quality.

2 Likes

Howard - I could not agree with you more. However I would also add there are an amazing group of young winemakers across Germany doing incredible work but none seem to be in the Rheingau. Eva Fricke whom has been making wine too long to be considered in this group has a few choice parcels. I can name 25+ exciting younger growers but not a single one in the Rheingau.

Rheingau is pretty hot these days though.

True but Hans Joseph Becker seems to be doing ok.

And several commentators say Breuer is making the best dry wines in Germany.

But still…

2 Likes

Does he have plots in any of the traditionally “1st growth” vineyards in the Rheingau? Would it satisfy a Bordeaux lover if Palmer and Ducru were making great wines but the first growths were each making mediocre wines.