KB Spring 2011

I’ve been to every pickup day at KB and I don’t live in Sonoma County. I find your statement hard to believe.

I found their answer hard to believe. Here it is:

From Kosta Browne <KB@kostabrowne.com>
Date: 11/16/2009 9:23 AM

Hi David,

Unfortunately, we don’t have the capacity to offer pick up as we don’t have the room to house the wine at our facility. So, we have had to reserve pick up for Sonoma County residents only.

We would love to see all of our customers, but it is possible at our present location.

Thank you for your order and Happy Holidays!
Heather Slate

Kosta Browne Winery
P.O. Box 1555
Sebastopol, CA 95473
707.823.7430 ext. 1
707.823.6835 Fax

Anyway… that was the email. Let’s be honest – lots of small producers don’t have a lot of space, but they still are able to do a pickup. I just saw this as lack of trying. They have a long waiting list, don’t need to keep me happy. It hardly matters now.

If you don’t purchase the App offer, then the likely scenario is that you’ll be offered to wish list the App wines the next time - no guaranteed allocation. The SVD and App lists look like they are handled separately to me. So if you are on the SVD list and skip the App wines, then you will be likely still be offered the SVD wines.

I got the same response last year when I asked to pick-up. Was a bit surprising to me as well, especially since I’ve been to many pick-up days for various small wineries, and they are never flooded with people.

I still find this hard to believe…

The KB pick day does have lots of people at it and lots of people working too; its a pretty serious undertaking. It’s a pretty sizable warehouse space but I don’t know what their total production is these days. It was great meeting Mr Koplin the last time I went.

That is weird. Have they offered to comp your shipping instead?

Yeah… right. I don’t think so. [swearing.gif]

David and John,

I’m just wondering. Could there have been confusion over a pickup time agreeable to both parties versus attending Pickup Day?

In the comments section of the online order form I left a request to have the wine held for pick-up. I never mentioned a date or anything about the pick-up party. It was just a general request. I got a reply that I could not pick-up the wine since I was not in Sonoma County.

I can’t imagine that there was any confusion. Here’s what I sent to them -

I just saw on eBob that there was a winery pickup today. I’m on the
list and bought my allocation. I don’t recall seeing a pick up option
when I ordered. I just checked the current newsletter and there’s no
mention of a pickup party. What does it take to be invited to this? :slight_smile:
I’d certainly prefer to pick up than have the wines shipped.

Skipped my App allocation last year. Did not affect SVDs. However, I was specifically told in an e-mail that because I skipped my App order last year I did not get a guaranteed allocation but was invited to submit a wish list. I like the wine, but I am still on the fence.

Again it should be noted than in my experience, and from Laube’s scores also, KB’s App wines are very close in quality to the SVDs. They are in no way akin to the laughable excuses for second wines that some cult producers try to foist upon people.

I skipped one app allocation as well and the next app allocation was wish list only… did not affect SVD allocation…

what are shipping costs like for this release within CA?

Won’t know until the 7th. Will try to remember to post.

Is there any hope for the 2006 SVD’s?

Not much chatter on KB release day (Feb. 7). Not as much as a peep (until now). Very different from Rivers Marie and Rhys, very interesting … neener

I think everyone is wined-out, recuperating from all the mailers in January.

I keep kidding people that there should be a law that all mailers/offers must be done on one set date. That way, on one day you get them all, sort through and compare, and then make your decisions and get it over with.

And usually the email doesn’t come until later in the day (at least for those of us on the east coast it’s towards the end of the day IME).

I believe allocations are guaranteed, so no sweat! [cheers.gif]