Karl Heinrich Koch's 1897 Masterpiece Moselwein

Thanks!

Since the book’s publication, in March 2022, I have made some minor changes (mostly style choices and added details) to the first edition. I have noted the revision on the copyright page. In the last update, revised in May 2023, I wanted to be more precise in my translation of the term “Kuppe,” rounded hilltop, in an endnote. I will, on request, send an errata sheet for anyone interested. In February 2023, I decided, among other changes, to add a hyphen to “place-name” (as it was spelled in the manuscript).

Last weekend, Per, Gustaf, and I visited Immich-Batterieberg and Weiser-Künstler and stopped for lunch at Jugendstilhotel Bellevue and had tapas in the late afternoon at Die Mosel. It was the start of our book tour.

4 Likes

Have a good tour!

1 Like

Thanks! We’re just taking short weekend trips to different places when we have time.

2 Likes

Have a great tour. My copy just arrived this week so if that’s the only error I’ll note it.

1 Like

Thanks! It’s not really an error. On page 68, I wrote “the coveted ca. 3-ha slice on the rounded hill, or Kuppe, closer to the river.” But I changed this to “the coveted ca. 3-ha slice below the rounded hilltop, or Kuppe, closer to the river.” Kuppe means the dome-shaped crest of a hill, but it can also refer to any section of a slope that curves out, even if lower down on the hill. In the Saar Valley, several sites are named Kupp, such as in Saarburg, Ayl, and Wiltingen.

Quick update: the list includes Serriger Kupp, Saarburger Kupp, Ayler Kupp, Wiltinger Kupp and braune Kupp.

2 Likes

Just ordered a copy excited to get into it.

1 Like

Thanks, Dan.

1 Like

In the entry on Raul on page 72, I made the following change at the end:

The post-1971 5.8-ha Einzellage Oberemmeler Hütte, solely owned by von Hövel, includes both Lautersberg and Elzerberg, and the 2.2-ha Einzellage Oberemmer Raul, where von Kesselstatt and Friedrich-Wilhelm-Gymnasium once tended vines, comprises the Gewanne Raul and Im Raul on the far western edge of the south-facing slope. In 2022, von Hövel acquired a plot in Raul, and the VDP later decided to classify Raul, long considered one of the best sites in the Saar region, as one of two first-ever Mosel (Saar) Erste Lagen, the other being Scheidterberg in Ayl. (The best part of Scheidterberg is technically in the much-expanded Ayler Kupp.) “Erste Lage”—which, confusingly, was at one time utilized to refer to the VDP’s top classificatory echelon—now designates sites tended by VDP members and ranked a step down from so-called Grosse Lagen, effectively premiers crus to the latter’s grands crus.

And it should be noted that many of the VDP’s so-called Grosse Lagen (grands crus) are either ranked in the lower brackets on Clotten’s tax map of the Saar and Mosel or were not even planted yet. Take, for example, Saarburgerberg (Saarburger Rausch), Schonfels (technically a part of the much-expanded Ayler Kupp), or Lambertskirch.

The latest book update has “August 2023” on the copyright page.

2 Likes

I’d like to give a shout-out to Kirk Wille, who founded with Peter Liem the bimonthly online magazine called Riesling Report in 2000. He has been a big supporter of the book for his reps and clients at Loosen Bros.

Loved that publication and learned so much from it! I would love to get the back editions from him.

I just came across Kirk’s name in this recent article:

2 Likes

Thanks! I read that article earlier and found some of their expertise baffling.

Same! Since I know a few of them I am going to blame he writer / editor.

1 Like

It’s not worth it. I deleted my previous post, even if I pointed out the obvious.

I do want to know where to find all of the cheap aged Kabinetts, no one wants :slight_smile:

AND I hate when articles on German wine start with they are great values / cheap! I just hate it. You don’t walk up to someone in a Mercedes Benz dealership and start by saying its a cheap Maybach.

1 Like

I’ll repost it without naming the association.

There are a lot of mediocre estates that are not “hitting the quality benchmarks”—whatever those may be.

I misread your post. You’re referring to Riesling Report. It should be possible to request back issues.

I should add that this e-magazine was published from 2000 to 2002. Back then, I saw Peter Liem at tasting events in the Mosel. He and I first met one morning at Macéo in 2009. After tasting selections from the Mosel Wine Merchant portfolio with Mark Williamson, Peter and I had lunch at Le Verre Volé, where we shared a bottle of Brut Nature from Christophe Mignon.

Had I known that you would later select wines by Wolfram Stempel from Ohligsberg, Simonsberg, and Neuberg, I could have added some details to the descriptions of these old sites from my historical research and visits to these vineyards. The year before last, Julian Haart pointed out those parcels, which are owned by Jörg Felten, within each site. Last year, a Swedish friend named Gustaf, who apprenticed at Hofgut Falkenstein, and I hiked through the vineyards of Ohligsberg, Geierslay, and Großer Hergott, as well as past Weingut Geierslay on our way back to his car.

A reader in Riga named Ingmars Kulnieks caught an error on page 4 in the introduction. It should be “almost 18 liters in milk.” The book has been updated.