Kansas City Metro, amazing food on both sides of the state line

I had forgotten to mention LC’s. Damn right. Loved that place

I have flown in and out of San Diego many times and never get used to looking out the window on approach and noticing that there buildings directly across to the left and right and we are below the rooftops. Bizarre if not a bit unsettling experience

I think that while you were here there were a few top notch places, though much outside of The American (R.I.P.) not a whole lot of true “fine dining” experiences to be had. Bluestem was probably the other option. In more casual styles I think there were some good examples, but not a ton of depth. There’s a lot more now, and certainly a lot more wine list creativity.

Please do! I’m about five minutes away from there.

Jim, I was never impressed by Bluestem; good service, food was not impressive. Never made it to the American. Like I said, I’ve heard that generally it’s improved so glad to hear that’s the case. Saw a shout out for a place called the Antler Room on a national feed of some kind the other day, I think it was for best new natural wine bars.

Yeah, that’s one of my new favorites. I’ve known Nick and Leslie since they were at the Rieger years ago. They traveled a lot, worked at some amazing places and came back here. I also think you left before Jarochos - Chef Carlos Falcon does incredible Latin American sea food. Set up an Omakase budget with him ahead of time and he’ll kill it.

Was in KC a couple weeks ago. The burnt ends burger with spicy slaw at Q39 was one of the more enjoyable things I’ve eaten in a while. The taste of brisket I had was legit as well. Would love to come back and try a full platter of the bbq.
Nice beer list.

Late to the game (been off board for a while) and non bbq, but if you’re interested in one of the two best grilled cheeses in the country, Westside Local is good.

Cheers,
-Robert