Kamado Joe versus Big Green Egg

Thanks for the heads up
Philip looked into it. apparently an older model

It is the first model. There is not a huge difference between the two, mainly the upgraded hinge. Most of the older ones now come with the upgraded firebox instead of the old design. For 3-400 less and including shipping it is a great deal. They are actually coming out with a model 3 pretty soon. Model 2 has only been out for a year or two now

As an XL BGE owner with three friends who have XL BGE’s, I would caution you that one thing about BGE’s is that if you happen to get one in which the upper dome has significant under-bite or over-bite with the lower dome, it is a bitch to get the situation corrected. One friend has a “dud” XL in which two engineers and then dumb me have tried, unsuccessfully to fix it. Said friend now needs to try to convince a local authorized dealer (he bought it mail order due to a discount) to come out and have a go at it. I have no idea if this is a problem with KJ’s or not. It is a problem with BGE’s. I am not a huge fan of the metal straps and lots of nuts and bolts BGE uses to secure the lower and upper domes. Plus, it is not uncommon for people to have their upper dome fall out of the metal band/strap due to the strap coming loose with time but going unnoticed.

My understanding is:

Kamado is a generic- originally japanese word for a type of stove- Kamado - Wikipedia, but now a generic term for the style of ceramic grill.

Kamado Joe and Komodo Kamado are separate companies that sell kamado grills.

Here is a list of others.

Anyone ever have this problem?

1 Like

I don’t usually grill drunk.
I also realize the dome of the thing is HOT! Even when the thermometer reads 225. That counts as hot.

I have a large BGE but probably would’ve gotten a kj if I had researched more carefully.

I love my KJ Mini. I have two - one at the house and one in the RV. I thought about getting a XL for the house but I’ve never needed that much real estate and it burns through so much more charcoal.