K&L wines (California) - to cease shipment to New York

It is unfortunate as I enjoyed doing business with them over the years, but they are no longer permitted to ship alcohol to New York. They issued me a refund for an order I placed last week.

Wow, that’s too bad. They were one of my favorite retailers. I just received an order from them earlier this month.

This shipping change will most likely reduce the number of bidders for their auctions, reducing prices realized when selling as a result. Good for auction buyers who live in one of the authorized ship to states. Bad for sellers though.

Just called K&L wines. Was told that as of three days ago, UPS stopped shipping alcohol to all states–even states where it is permitted, such as Oregon. That also includes in-state shipping too. Fed-ex, however, is still shipping wine.

OMG

1 Like

There seems to be a few different explanations being offered. KL told me that this is because of New York State targeting the type of retail license that KL holds, and NYS not permitting shipments any longer. I received multiple cases from Benchmark and Envoyer in CA to me in NY just this week. Is NYS targeting only KL’s license?

I can’t understand how there was no warning or notice. Did this just happen overnight? NY clients are now scrambling to get their wine.

Wasn’t there a US Supreme Court case a few years ago that was supposed to end these state-to-state shipping impediments?

I was told that Weygandt will no longer ship to NY.

Just got off the phone with Wine Exchange (So Cal). Said UPS is still shipping their wines. So maybe it’s just an issue with K&L?

I got an email from Stefan Blicker that BP Wine is following suit. :frowning:
My wife is happy and hopeful I will drink more than I buy. [snort.gif]

Ship your stuff…ALL…NOW.
At least, the weather is helpful.

Sounds like they are not licensed to ship in all those states.

I really am confused and frustrated about all of this.

I don’t buy wines from local retail shops any longer, but it appears that I may be facing a denial of access to my favorite wineries’ products if this scenario is the beginning of a larger trend.

I hope that I am wrong.

This seems like a steady process of elimination, until wholesalers run the entire industry, squeezing winemakers, retailers, and consumers. Like the tail wagging the dog.

It’s a load of crap, alright.

Ironically, the most likely outcome is that it will accelerate the inevitable Supreme Court case for retail that parallels the Granholm case for wineries. With the hopeful (though certainly not guaranteed, given the [expletives deleted] tendencies of the SC) outcome that out of state retail shipping will become lawful in any state that allows in state retail shipping.

I know a common sense answer that bolsters the US tax coffers would be out of the question but:

Shipping to be open to all states. 2% tax paid to IRS on every item shipped. That levels the playing field IF the individual states aren’t adding their own little taxes on specific items, shooting their own retailers in the foot. Amazon would be helping reduce the national debt. I would stop selling cigars because everybody could buy them online and pay a 2% tax, rather than buy from me with a 22.8 % tax now and possibly an additional 145% tax if Prop 56 passes.

+1 in CAPITAL LETTERS!

Yes, great store–stopped shipping to IN affordably a while back. With BP, hope this does not augur a trend.

This is a solely K&L issue because I get wines shipped from vineyards all the time and they gave never shipped to MD, which is why I never buy from them. I guessing they don’t want to cough up the money to be properly licensed to ship to different states.

Wineries with the proper permit can ship to MD. It is against current law in MD for retailers such as K&L to ship here.

Cheers,
Curt