Just wondering - does wine taste different if you don't have teeth?

This thread begs the question “What does Pre-Chew Charlie’s offer on their wine list?”

With no teeth, how would people describe the feel of tannins?

It would be abominable.

This…would become this!

If I remember to do so, I will ask my FIL when I see him in a couple weeks. A couple years ago, rather than getting some crowns or implants, he instead ripped all his teeth out and went for dentures. He deeply regrets that decision, and now advises anyone who will listen to him to do whatever they can to hang on to their original teeth.

A professional mentor of mine did the same thing and was so distraught afterwards, he passed away shortly afterwards in his early 70s. Yes, there were other health issues, but the emotional factor set them off.

Guessing, but given that wines taste quite differently from a Burgundy bowl than they do from a Riesling stem, I would think there would definitely be a difference.

Funny thread…

What made you search for this 3 year old thread about no teeth ?? And then resurrect it ? That could me more interesting than the thread itself !!!

1 Like

While I would like to know that too, I missed it back then and it was a fun couple of minutes…

I was literally going to ask the same thing. Please do tell!! champagne.gif

It’s actually an interesting question, since there are a lot of medical reasons someone with a wine hobby might lose teeth. Anybody who could afford implants would certainly avoid dentures, especially the upper arch, since it can’t be made without covering the hard palate, where there are a lot of tastebuds, to say nothing of the taste of the adhesive you have to use to keep it in place. But some people have issues with implants too. If you are sensitive to titanium they can make everything taste metallic, and I have read about problems with a constant salty taste in the mouth, something to do with an electrical reaction involving the metal. I imagine there are people whose palate could be affected just by fillings.

I opened this thread to read it and was a little surprised to find I had been the one to start it.

Perhaps I should wonder about losing more than just teeth.