Josh Jensen Has Passed Away

Great list. I have always wanted to meet Darrell Corti.

Off the top of my heard I would add Warren Winiarski, Ric Forman, Randy Dunn, Philip Togni, John Kongsgaard, Bob Travers.

And in Oregon John Paul.

Mike Grgich.

2 Likes

99 years young.

Thanks to all for the list of living legends. Some of us are old enough and grew up here back when Robert Mondavi would pop into his tasting room, and it is easy to think about all the people who we’ve lost and feel bereft. There are also other great contributors, esp growers, that are still around, and other legacies that remain in families and are run the way California wineries used to be run, to the degree that is practical. (I’m thinking of Hendry, Smith-Madrone, and some others.)

1 Like

Never met him, but I have long loved his Pinot’s. From bottom to top of range they were recognizable for a unique combination of classical purity and intensity.

Saddened to learn this news.

Other “living legends” include Steve Edmunds, Ken Brown, Bob Lindquist, Merry Edwards, Fred Scherrer, Tom Dehlinger, Zelma Long, Bill Easton, Cathy Corison, Rick Longoria, Fred Brander, Carol Shelton…as Tom said, really too many to name. These are just off the top of my head.

1 Like

Robert,
The idea of shorting California turned into shorting the market. Josh told me he did exceptionally well at this around 2009.

Living legends?
Steve Kistler
Dave Ramey
The Rochioli’s
Joel Peterson
Mike Richmond… he started Acacia
Marcello Monticello… created the blends for Hearty Burgundy and Apothic
Jeffrey Patterson
Doug Nalle
Chuck Ortman
John Williams
In Oregon
Steve Doerner
Dick Ponzi
Dave Adelsheim
Dick Erath

Straddling two states:
Eugenia Keegan

1 Like

I would add Rob Davis, winemaker for the first forty + years at Jordan. Mentored by Andrè Tchelistcheff and one of the most talented and gracious people you’ll ever meet in the industry.

Holy cow.

We literally just grabbed a bottle of 2017 Calera Mt. Harlan Pinot Noir Ryan Vineyard to try.

I love the Calera Jensen as much as any other pinot on earth.

I think his approach to vineyard location, etc. were revolutionary.

He certainly made this hobby better.

1 Like

Mel Knox Do you know the backstory of his fame in Japan?

He was featured in a manga. I might even have it somewhere. But that is all I know. I will probably be seeing Ray Kaufman, who sold his wines in Japan, very soon. He should know more.

While I wouldn’t say 78 is particularly young, it is always sad to see these people go.
His mailing list letters were more like mini-chapters of books in their content and length.
RIP Josh.

Great list. So good to see Norm Roby’s name there. Probably the most underrated wine writer in the US and a truly great gentleman.

Thanks!

I found this:

“That was twenty years ago, and Calera-mania is still strong in Japan. Upwards of 20% of the Calera production is sold there, and even today when Josh Jensen visits the lines are hours long for him to sign empty bottles of Jensen Pinot Noir. Here’s a superstar winemaker in that country.”

I met Josh a few times, probably 20 or so years ago. We even hosted him one evening at our place with his then SO.
Truly a gentleman and as others have said, a gracious soul. Took real hutzpah to start a vineyard in the middle of nowhere. He will be missed.

Yup…couldn’t agree more, Sao. I first met Norm at a dinner at Darrell Corti’s back in the mid-'70’s, when he was just getting started. Back when he lived in SanAnselmo.
He did some of his best writing for PhilipSeldon’s Vintage Magazine back in the '80’s…until Seldon screwed him over. A terrific gentleman.
Tom

You can’t stump my library. Unfortunately I only had it in French though.

20220616_144121.jpg
20220616_144130.jpg
20220616_144154.jpg
20220616_144210.jpg
20220616_143801.jpg

1 Like

One bottle of 87 Calera Jensen remaining in the cellar. Will have to open it this weekend. May his memory be a blessing.

Was he the first in California to make Pinot truly the focus of the winery? Mt Eden/Martin Ray maybe?

They’re making a joint Japanese/French live action version of this. A French woman instead of a Japanese man is the hero.

Nope, Tom… that was probably MartinRay. And later DavidBruce. And KenBurnap. Maybe Randall Graham.
Tom

1 Like