Jim Maresh certainly not lacking confidence

A few quotes picked from his Spring offering newsletter:

I don’t care about money, I’m done knocking on the door of ‘greatness’ I’m kicking it down…

I’m DETERMINED to make wines that push beyond the level quality Oregon and the new world have seen…

At Arterberry Maresh - GREAT wine was made in 2011…

These are the best Pinot noir’s I’ve ever made and I’m confident the wine world will agree…

Young Jim is colorful and passionate. He has lovely fruit to work with, some of the best perhaps. Nice jump in quality with his '10s IMHO. Hope he’s right.

RT

+1

Maresh vineyard truly is an Oregon grand cru, nice to see he is shooting for the stars!

The CT notes on the basic 2011 DH bottle are pretty poor (https://www.cellartracker.com/notes.asp?iWine=1428011&searchId=4CE1733E%23selected%3DW1428011_1_K730dd6e82ab8bff6ee6a1e7ef2698336), but I quite like the stuff. Yes, it’s thin and tart but it’s quite lively and pretty. As RT said, he’s got great sources with which to work so I don’t doubt there will be some stellar stuff that is more weighty and complex than his entry level bottle.

I like his wines but his single vineyard price points are a bit high particularly when you can still get Thomas, Belle Pente and Cameron for less.

Jim’s 2005 Chardonnay, poured at the Oregon Chardonnay Symposium last weekend, was really notable.

Starting 2011 I kept the press and free run separate. For the single vineyards I only use the free run wine. I didn’t know what to do with the press barrels… So I cut the price of the Dundee Hills to $17, bottled it early a couple barrels at a time. I didn’t make very much before I pulled the plug on the 11 DH. Some bottles were better than others, some were repulsive. It was a bad move! Now I sell the press wine on the bulk market. If you got some DH you didn’t like, thats a problem I’d like to fix, contact me. I don’t have any plans to do a Dundee Hills PN bottling in the future, just single vineyards.

Andy, I remember tasting the '05 in barrel. Should have made it to that Chard event. That sounds cool.

Jim, weird story on the press wine. I keep mine separate but I love good press wine. It’s lighter in color, higher in pH, and sometimes softens the harder free run wine. It’s definitely different stuff though and I have a small WV bottling that’s just press barrels. Intended for restaurants. Works pretty well. But it’s not for keeping, for sure.

Finally, someone is articulating what really matters about wine.

Last night had the 1992 Matanzas Creek Merlot, 2002 Laurenty Clos Vougeot VV Sui Generis, and the 2011 Maresh Maresh. The latter is ridiculously young. There’s no thinnness or tartness. It will be a great wine but it’s just an intellectual exercise for the next several years, tight and tannic even after two hours. Ten percent wine, ninety percent structure and potential.

Man I loved the basic 2008 DH. That and Acme two of my all time pinot QPR’s.

The Matanzas was the oldest tasting bottle I’ve had of this wine and I’d only give it a 93.

I’m convinced Laurent has good sources in Vougeot, this will be great. 2002 might be my favorite red Burg vintage. But wait ten years on this one.

Received my 2011’s this week & couldn’t wait to pop a Maresh vineyard. Boy howdy, WOW! Those are awesome and only going to get better, much better. I’ve been a fan of Arterberry Maresh for a long time and I have to agree with Jim on this one. Definitely the best yet, except possibly for the Loie’s, which are extra special. Nice job Jim!