Jamon Serrano from Costco?

Ugh. We need Country Of Origin Labeling.

Just like olive oil imported from Italy-------but made in Lebanon, Spain, Greece, Israel, etc.
No wonder that Italy somehow sells more olive oil than it grows. [stirthepothal.gif] pileon strawman

So, stop complaining about my shop. neener

Except it’s well known that they get the majority of their “Italian EVOO” from Spain…

The owner the secadora de Jamon emailed me back again, said they (Noel) produce more in 2 weeks than he produces in a year. It’s a mass produced product at a cheap price.

Costco does a 10% markup on products across the board I believe. Helps explain why they have something like this so cheap, whatever the quality.

Thanks for the update.

Is it any good? What do they do differently in mass producing it than others on a smaller scale? I would have to assume it’s the quality of the pigs more than anything. The salting and aging would be something that seems like it would lend itself to mass production without quality loss, but I only know the rudimentary steps of producing jamon. I love the great stuff and have had it across Spain numerous times and the better quality isn’t cheap, but well worth it!

There’s no blanket policy, but per Wikipedia it’s claimed that most products are marked up between 8 to 10%, while their Kirkland Signatures products have a markup of no more than 15%.

They had some at the Palm beach gardens Costco tonight

Just like we have recalls on hamburger, steaks, poultry and lots of other animal or other food products Spain, also has their issues and recalls. Recently, the Ministry of Health gave a warning for Jamon Iberico being sold for a ridiculously low price thru Carrefour. These Jamones were a real bargain because they offered these Jamones and included a free gift of whiskey with the purchase. Investigators found the Jamones had rat bite marks, spoiled meat etc.
I’m not suggesting that this conglomerate of mass produced Jamones sold at Costco is related to the Jamones from this producer. I don’t know if there is any connection, I’ll check around tomorrow. I do want to make the point that these things happen. I can personally vouch for the producer from Almeria that I use and that I will never be able to compete with the prices for Jamones at Costco.

To be fair, I’d be surprised if many businesses can compete with Costco on pricing alone. Their negotiation power is pretty unrivaled.
Even if their product was identical to yours and came from the exact same source. I would expect them to be cheaper.

Having been a vendor for Costco I can tell you they are meticulous with the quality of the products they sell in their warehouses.One thing you will seldom find on their shelves is product past the sell by date for instance.

I am very glad for that. I do not think there is any connection to the problem in Spain right now and the offer that Costco has… it was just a coincidence in timing.

Yeah. Know a guy that works in product QC. They wont hesitate to yank something and if they have any doubts about safety… will never hit the shelves

Just a weird coincidence that Jamones were being sold at a ridiculous prices at the same time. I’ll bet Carrefour is wishing they had the QC that Costco has.

This is also seems like a new producer wanting to come in and gain market share. Come out with a ridiculous price that is sustained by a large wholesaler buying containers of your product. Plus the whole setup has really nice optics at holiday functions. Next thing you know people are talking about your brand and calling their local Costco.

Shows how hard artisan products have it! smh

Who is the “they” here, Nola?

Are you being serious? I mean a serious question deserves a well educated answer…
according to the International Olive Council Economic Affairs & Promotion Unit - International Olive Council
for the harvest 2016/2017 (olives ripen in the winter so some are harvested in late 2016 through early 2017.
Figures are (1000 tons)

Spain – Produced 1290.6 – Consumed 454.4
Italy – Produced 182.3 – Consumed 439.9
Cyprus – Produced 6.0 – Consumed 6.3
Croatia – Produced 5.0 – Consumed 7.0
France – Produced 2.8 – Consumed 94.0
Greece – Produced 195.0 – Consumed 105.0
Malta – Produced 0.0 – Consumed 0.8
Portugal – Produced 69.4 – Consumed 70.0
Slovenia – Produced 0.4 – Consumed 2.1
USA – Produced 15.0 – Consumed 315.0

Nola:

I’m aware of the issue. I wanted to know if you were referring specifically to Costco. I know they are pretty careful with their sourcing, and was interested in whether you had specific information that Costco was passing Spanish oil off as Italian

From the back label, protected designation of origin . Says it comes from Sicily, grown in the municipalities of Palermo and Agrigento.Kirkland EVO Val Di Mazara harvest 2017.Am I missing something?

Hi David, no, I was not referring specifically to Costco, but if you look at the numbers of how much Olive Oil is produced in Italy, their consumption and the volume that Kirkland needs to satisfy their volume of sales… even with Kirkland’s certifying process, I remain skeptical. In the end, good olive oil whether it comes from Italy, Spain, Greece or where ever is a great choice. BTW, my pallet of Veleta EVOO just left the winery yesterday…finally.