Jamie Goode on brett, TCA, ladybugs, smoke taint and mousiness

I was not or at least I was not trying to. My only point was to make sure people don’t use the terms incorrectly. I didn’t mean to offend anybody, but getting my point across softly and politely across the net has never been my forté.

I grant you that you are absolutely right when saying mousiness ultimately isn’t a taste but a smell, but if we go down that road, then EVERYTHING in wine except for the sweetness, the bitterness, the acids, the saline tones and the umami are not flavors, but aromas. Tasting cherry in your wine? Nope, it’s a smell. How about leather? A smell too. How about banana bubblegum? Definitely a smell.

Exactly as you said in one of your posts above, except for the five (or so) basic tastes that tongue can detect, all the flavors a human can taste are actually aromas that are picked up retronasally and brain does the magic turning into those aromas into flavors. Calling these flavors aromas instead of flavors is strictly scientifically accurate but also rather pointless, because brains don’t work that way. In normal speech people associate “smell” by something we can sense through sniffing something and “taste” by something we can sense through tasting it, even though the exact sensation still happens in the nose. That’s the long and detailed explanation why I would avoid using the term “mousy smell” when describing wine.

Great stuff, thank you for your input. We’ve been discussing with my friends on that mouth pH thing regarding how differently we taste mousiness (how quickly the character appears, how intensely one tastes it), but I’ve never thought it could be that the pH threshold to volatilize THP could be so low in some people’s mouth that the wine never turns unclean - I thought the mouth pH was well above the threshold. However, as I have no idea what is the normal mouth pH and how much there is variance, your explanation could actually be a viable possibility!

I’ve associated it with VA as I see it in wines where the winemaker has intentionally tried to have more VA in the wine…my guess is to give it the perception of more acidity…In the case of Juras because they were able to get a bit more ripeness…

I really hate this word, not because of it’s meaning, but who has ever got close enough to a mouse to smell them?? Even the mice I trap have never really smelled.

Dreadlocks have a taste now?

No…think NattyBo. :wink:

It refers to the smell of a mouse cage. And you don’t have to be that close to one to pick that up.

You’re dealing w/ the wrong mouses, Markus. I would invite you out to LosAlamos and have you unstack one of my
woodpiles. When you do, you’ll often uncover an old mouse’s nest filled w/ stale mouse urine, old mouse poop, and a wretched
smell of decay. It’s a very unique smell that I often describe as “hantavirus”, because that’s where you can pick up
the hantavirus disease.
But I’m glad you make the effort to sniff up the mouses you trap. Broadens your wine experience.
Tom

Learning experiences lurk in the strangest of places!

Also, this is a great and informative thread, thanks all for the info everyone!

Indeed, we’re learning a lot about Berserkers’ interactions with dead animals.

Thing is, I’m not sure, but of the three things you mention, what I’m thinking of sounds most like the last one. It’s an extremely distinctive apple cider note, and I’ve noticed it in wines without any other indication of oxidation that I could detect. Have you ever found that note in non-natural wines?

Here’s an experiment for someone: Find a wine that has mousiness at the back. Then add a little baking soda to the wine in a glass and see if you can smell it.

I wish I hadn’t dumped that mousy Cahors now!

You should take down that flag and write a book IMO.

(Despite being armed with all the information about mousiness, and not being a stranger to natural wines, I still cannot relate to the fault at all, so am coming round to the view that I must be insensitive to it. I suppose that is a good thing from a personal pleasure angle.)

I know of a shared winemaking facility that had a cider maker as one of the tenants. Several of the fermenting (red) wines picked up that cidery note and required intervention. The alleged culprit was the Champagne yeast used for the cider.

I’ve been thinking of doing this experiment in multiple occasions, but the problem is that all the mousy wines I taste are always in tastings and other events, never in my home! :smiley:

Never. This “cidery” / “appley” note is an aroma that makes me immediately think of natural wines. Not all natural wines (well, actually relatively few) exhibit that aroma, but whenever I pick up that note, they are quite consistently from the extremist end of the non-interventionist spectrum.

And I don’t recommend carrying around and pulling out a little plastic bag full of baking powder. People will definitely get the wrong idea.

[snort.gif]

i am very sensitive to mouse and often times can identify an off aroma in these spoiled wines. typically the longer the wine is exposed to oxygen the more pronounced it becomes. the smell is somewhat similar to peanut shells, perhaps rancid ones?

Damn you, just spit out my coffee! [rofl.gif]