Jamet

While I have you all here, what’s the deal with Franck Balthazar Cornas ‘Chaillot’. Trad?

Yup, aged in used (over 5 years old) 600L Casks, whole bunch fermentation, manual cap punching and unfined and unfiltered, certified organic in 2013

I passed on the recent Envoyer offer on the 2013. With too much wine, too much recent spending and the reality of the pricing, it’s pushing me out of Jamet (and Allemand, for that matter). I’ll enjoy and share what I have left as I drink through these but buying more of them, those days are probably over.

FWIW, I also drank the 1998 last December, alongside the 1999 Allemand Chaillot. The Jamet was good, but not at the $200 I had to pay for it, especially when the Allemand really outclassed it. I just don’t see why some dig the 1998 like they do. it didn’t deliver for what I was expecting. The Allemand surely did, though.

An appropriate head-to-head might have been with the 1999 Jamet, instead of the 1998.

Thanks. Ordered a few. Don’t know if I got any. We’ll see.

Maybe so, but I had the 99 Allemand already and the 1998 was available close by via Envoyer. No matter, putting the vintage aside, and reflecting back to how much people above commented on liking the 1998, the 1999 Chaillot was far better.

Sorta relates at the thread regarding the value of CT and community notes and scores. It’s amazing how nuanced our palates can be, so divergent at times, so different at times. I think you and I share some palate similarities - you may want slightly more fruit than me and perhaps less tolerant of younger Frenc reds - but clearly we differ on this Jamet, just like we did the 2007 Gonon VV that we shared together. Both of these are exceptional wines, IMHO. I sincerely believe that they will even get better with time, thought I have no regress’s having popped them now. And we clearly agree that Copain has made some exceptional Syrah.

All of my time with you is cherished. The wines, well, those are lost in my haze of admiration and fondness for you. flirtysmile

Lol! I seem to recall wearing my sexy, tight white Boss jeans when we went out. I can understand the love! :heart:

Those were horrifying, but I forgave you because you treated me so generously with wines that evening.

What vintages are Jamet’s greatest?

OK, same vintage comparisons here, and I’m not putting vintages aside for fairness in comparison.

I’ve had the 1999 Allemand (both Chaillots and Reynard) a few times, and they’re good, but still don’t come up to the same level of satisfaction as the 1999 Jamet CR.

1998 Allemand Chaillot, not as good as the Reynard, and falls well short of the 1998 Jamet mentioned above.

Count me as a massive fan of the 1998.

In the last 30 years, probably the 1991.

Agree the 91, and next, the 99. I see all the love above for the 98, but I don’t think it comes close to the best vintages.

Agree.

Man, bought a 6pk of the 00’ on disco for $30 a bottle, never really impressed, should have left them sleep for 10 more years…

Jamet needs a lot of time, especially the “old” Jamet before 2001 …
the 1998 is a very good but not exceptional effort, 1997 (and 1999 of course) are superior …

The 2000 is a lighter but good vintage - with the benefit that it is nearly fully mature …
I prefer it to 2001 which was always a bit ungainy and showing (too) high acidity …

Well, the 1982 Côte brune - drunk with François Audouze - was a revelation … the 1986 also fine.
(I´ve never tasted ´83, ´85)

1990, 1991, 1997, 1999 are simply great …
1988, 1989, 1992, 1994 also fine and mature …
1995 and 1998 should come around soon …
1996 and 2000 are very good …

BTW: the 1990 CB is the last vintage father Joseph made (I think the sons already made the regular cuvee).

From 2001 to (app.) 2006/07 there is IMHO a slight slump in the quality … the wines are simply lacking a bit of concentration … although the 2003 seems to be fine (but young) …

Recent vintages seem to be better again (2009, 2010, 2012 are outstanding), maybe also due to the introduction of a “second” wine (2008?) - “Fructus voluptas”, containing the fruit of younger vines and made in a more foreward fruity style (and for earlier drinking) …

BTW: most of Jamets vineyards are on the Northern (brune) side of the Appellation, and all is 100% Syrah, no Viognier in the blend …
The brothers seperated in (app) 2011 … Jean-Paul is now solely responsible (with wife and son).

I love the 1991!!! I have four bottles left of a case purchase.

Wu’s Wonton? :slight_smile: