Jackson Hole, Wyoming

Here’s a final update. I did less dining out than I first planned, so just a couple more restaurant updates.

Had a pretty good meal Christmas night at Calico’s, which was a good venue for a group of ten with 5 adults, three HS/college kids, and two elementary school kids. The Caesar salad was outstanding and a Wagyu strip was good, though it could have been trimmed a little better.

Lunch at Piste at the top of the Bridger Gondola wasn’t cheap (though what on-mountain dining is?), but a curried carrot soup with charred Brussel sprouts was delicious and the burger with hand cut fries was pretty good as well.

I did a snowmobile trip to Old Faithful and had forgotten how tiring long snowmobile rides can be. Old Faithful itself was enshrouded in steam and was pretty anticlimactic, but a smaller unexpected geyser eruption at a different point in the park made up for it. On the whole it was a long day but well worth it.

One last addition, as I think I undersold Rations, located in the Basecamp convenience store in Wilson. It is a simple lunch counter at first blush, but with exceptional quality of ingredients and execution. I really can’t recommend it highly enough, and Basecamp’s modest selection of retail wine offerings is worth checking out as well, particularly for fans of Chambers Street.

I’ll be driving over the pass after skiing tomorrow and I’ll have to stop in to check that out.

Rations closed on weekend. Oh well. Did manage to grab a bottle of Kelly Fox Pinot to try. Pretty darn nice wine pickup at a gas station

Sorry, I didn’t realize that Rations was only open on weekdays. At least it wasn’t a wasted trip and it isn’t too far out of the way. If your Kelley Fox was a 2016 Montazi, I bought one of them there as well and quite enjoyed it.

I was headed over the pass anyway, so…