I've Never Had A Chianti That Excited Me

That’s a great follow up question and should really help get Michael to the right wine…

This

Probably just wanted to know if I had the bona fides to recognize a profound wine if I encountered one.

I’ve made a list and I’m checking twice.

I’m surprised by this comment. I would have thought it would have been far too rustic and far less luscious than would fit the bill for the Parker ideal

Maybe. But I bet he was taking the most efficient route to a recommendation. “What else have you liked?” and “What price point do you want to hit?” are two key questions to ask when someone has asked for an open-ended recommendation.

Considering how much I have enjoyed this wine I also find that comment surprising. Surely a Parkerized Chianti would rather be some soft, ripe and dark-fruited wine with 20% French varieties?

Not that I don’t love Montevertine, I do, I buy and sell every bottle I can get and have done a visit to the estate. I just don’t consider them Chianti, in many ways they are the anti-Chianti.

Oh, I didn’t see it as a challenge to your palate or taste in wine…but when I saw your list I thought, “I’ve never had one as profound as those wines you’ve listed…”

However, back to your original question…I’d search out a bottle of 2010 Casa Emma Chianti Classico Riserva. While not profound…it’s one of the best I’ve found.

and slathered in a ton of new french oak. Personally I’ve never found Bucerchiale in that vein, but ymmv

Very relevant if you like modern fruit driven wines or earth and acid driven wines, there are so many different styles across Chianti to push you towards a producer or vintage that meets your criteria vs. a bunch of random selections I or others like, but may not be your style.

Really like this wine. Good example of a 100% sangio beauty.

Michael,
We visited Castelina in Chianti in 2016 and lucked into a village-wide Chianti Classico three day festival which included dinner with unlimited wines (go to the table with dozens of different bottles, grab one, bring it to your table to be opened, tasted and shared; receive samples of other wines from people at your table and adjacent tables; repeat!), and two afternoons of tasting. I can tell you of the 50+ wines we managed to taste (Regular, Riserva, La Gran Selezione) while many were good, there were maybe only a handful that stood out to me as “ponderable”. I did a quick look at USA availability and there is one that is available in at least a couple of places. 2011 Bibbiano Capanino Gran Selezione Chianti Classico. Good luck with you search. -Jim

maybe it’s not for you. Can’t like everything. I hate Zinfandel.

I disagree though this may be a semantic point. I view Montevertine as the most authentic Chianti. They have stuck to their guns through Chianti’s various identity crises, producing classic and pure wines from the indigenous varieties of the region. No French varieties, no excess extraction, no bullshit.

So true. If you don’t like 'em, stop drinking 'em.

As others have been pointing out:
He might drink them way before they are ready.
Give them 20+years

Have you tried it with liver and some fava bean?

Personally, Pergole Torte I still would count as a profound chianti, since it basically is in everything but legal name. also, i think the question makes sense cuz it points a recc in a certain direction. I agree with trying Fontodis, or Rancia with age. Pergole Torte stands alone but these two are great as well in my book

But it still makes no sense drinking them young [cheers.gif]

The producer I’ve found that most often is profound is Castello di Ama. Expensive though.