I've got a real fresh Ocean Skate Filet, you got a brand new key....

Spanking fresh skate wings at Weggies today. Sorry no pics because I was sauteing it outside on the Weber and a thunderstorm came up out of nowhere. Had to beat it inside and finish the cooking in the oven.

Dredged the filet in seasoned cornmeal, sauteed it in EVO, removed it from the pan and tossed in capers and spanish olives. I spooned that back over the fish and served it with roasted baby artichokes and potatoes.

I wonder how many people here are old enough to know that song…

Sounds tasty.

Not to be too stream-of-consciousness or anything, but I’ve heard of people cookie-cutting circles out of skate/ray wings and selling them as scallops (!). Anyone encountered this firsthand?

I’ve heard the same tale about Mako shark.

I remember it well and clearly I’m dating myself, but hey it’s the only way I get out these days…

thank you, thank you, my comedy will be weak all here…

I remember the song too, and I also remember when pretty much every fishing boat had a length of 1-1/4" pipe for punching out “scallops” from skate. These days, I imagine skate (and shark too, for that matter) are about as scarce as scallops.

Mark, your prep sounds tasty. What did you drink with it? I find artichokes kind of challenging to pair with wine.

Lagrein rosato~Muri-Gries 2008…as my dear friend Bob Wood says “Yummo”

I think so at Red Lobster during a New Year’s Eve dinner many moons ago with friends.

The bastages! I would guess that a restaurant (ahem) would only dare to try this with breaded scallops. The skate muscle striations would be obvious if the “scallop” meat is visible.

My first real job was working a couple of nights a week at a Red Lobster in the 11th grade, shucking oysters, etc. (and chatting up the hostess through the take-out order window). The shrimp were hand-breaded in those days, and we ate a lot of them on duty.

It was a “scampi” type dish and the striations were noticed by more than one person.

Huh. I wonder if the folks at the Red Lobster even knew they were serving faux scallops…

Doubtful. ON NYE, they were stacking 'em deep and selling 'em cheap.

On second thought, maybe it really isn’t so obvious to most diners. It’s easy to forget that most people never took courses like Zoology, Comp Anat, etc. (Or Seafood ID.) Ignorance can be bliss…