Italian Top Wines - Piemonte & Toscana

Giacomo Conterno Monfortino, Masseto, Aldo Conterno Granbussia, Giacosa Collina Rionda, Gaja Sori San Lorenzo and Sori Tilden, Biondi Santi Riserva, Poggio di Sotto Riserva, Stella di Campalto Riserva, Soldera Riserva, Giuseppe Rinaldo Barolo, Giuseppe Mascarello Monprivato Riserva, Bartolo Mascarello Barolo, Cappellano Barolo, Burlotto Monvigliero, Avignonesi Occhio di Pernice, Biserno Lodovico, Tenuta San Guido Sassicaia, Montevertine Le Pergole Torte, Antinori Solaia, San Giusto a Rentennano La Ricolma, Ornellaia, Le Macchiole Messorio, Quintarelli Amarone, Dal Forno Amarone…

Sadly a list with too many wines I have not yet had, and almost purely the most expensive wines of Italy.

If you are looking for undervalued… It is worth a go at almost anything you never heard of from the 1950s-70s in Piedmont. Seek out 1958, 1961, 1964, 1967, 1971, 1978. Trust the vendor and take a shot. You could be blown away by something less than 25% of the cost of the list above.

Also, San Giusto a Rentennano Percarlo, Isole e Olena Cepparello, Cavallotto Bricco Boschis, Castello di Ama L’Apparita, Conterno Fantino Sori Ginestra, Produttori del Barbaresco (Pora, Rabaja…), Fuligni Brunello & Riserva, Mastrojanni Brunello Vigna Loreto… all undervalued imo, though Percarlo’s price is climbing quickly.

4 Likes

Many good producers already mentioned by others. Some of my own “go to” BdMs (aside from those of Biondi Santi) are: Poggio al Vento Riserva of Col d’Orcia, Fontodi’s Flaccianello della Pieve & Isole e Olena’s Cepparello. Although I’ve only tried one of Col di Lamo’s vintages, that one I tried (2010) I found distinctively elegant. It is owned/run by Gianna Neri, the sister of Giacomo Neri (whose Casanova di Neri’s style of wine I do not like at all).

Re: Chianti Classico, one I particularly like is the Colledilà Gran Selezione of Barone Ricasoli. Of its recent vintages, the one that immediately comes to mind is the 2016.

1 Like

This is clearly the right answer - that is how “label chasing” (per the OP ) works.

4 Likes

Seriously. Who identifies themselves as a “label whore”? No mention was made regarding interest in what is actually in the bottle, despite many well-intended efforts to steer in that direction.

3 Likes

Good turn by Dave Matthews as a wine snob

2 Likes

Not sure what was overly complicated about the OP. Joseph, Barry, Giacomo, Markus, etc all understood perfectly what I intended to convey and provided extremely useful responses.

Kudos to Greg, on the other hand, for managing once again to win the LVP award (least valuable post) in yet another thread. :clap:

1 Like

Did it really deserve such a personal attack?

1 Like

Let’s remember that these wines except a few, were not so expensive for a long time, especially in restaurants in Piemonte.

Mascarello untl 2021 sold his Barolo for 67€, and in many restaurants in Piemonte you could order it for 120-140€.

Cheap?
Probably not, but still not outrageous!

Anyway i don’t understand this acrimony. Are you going to pay the bill? :laughing:

There is good wine that fits every kind of wallet. Se let’s not be bitter if someone wants to splurge for his anniversary.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Like question, like answer :crazy_face:

1 Like

And the vomit emoticon represents what? Your disgust for spending money? :crazy_face:

Exactly. I disapprove when people spend money on wine. That’s what I’m here for :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

“It’s just money, it’s made up!”

1 Like

Nathan? Is that you?

2 Likes

I take it very seriously. I’m actually here to police people who spend too much money on wine.

2 Likes

I’ve found a bunch of reasonably priced Pergole Torte in Italy.

Stella di Campalto Brunello is a good one to look for. Drinks well young. Very Burgundian, for lack of a better word. Beautiful with food. Becoming culty and expensive here.

That’s eminently reasonable, some might argue, but then again, it makes you more of a bargain-hunter, and what’s required here are RAIDERS :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

I don’t understand your question. What acrimony? The OP asked for “label whore” wines, the best response is to just buy the most expensive stuff. I’m not judging the approach! People drink wine however they like - and studies show people value wines they’ve paid more for.

EDIT: I understand, I think you were referencing Andrew’s response which I’d missed. But I’m genuinely puzzled as to what else a “label whore” request would elicit? By definition people pay more for the most prestigious labels.

Also fair. I often make the mistake of thinking that everyone around here loathes modern Barolo/Barbaresco as much as I do. Lots of people like wines that I consider to be ruined by wood; Voerzio is a producer that epitomizes that category for me.

1 Like

I had the pleasure of visiting one La Morra producer, whose wines now command daft prices. I’d tried them before maybe 15 years ago, and at ~ £25 they were really solid value for a wine in the strongly traditional style I prefer. The wines sell for a lot more now, though it wouldn’t surprise me if he still sold bottles at an equivalent low price to friends and long-time buyers.

We had ~ 2 hours sat in his rather utilitarian tasting room, a world apart from the fancy building up the road at Ratti. I think we just tasted 3 wines, but had a really good conversation in Italian (or rather I had just enough to help give him some breaks as he shared his thoughts). It remains a very special memory.

One aspect that came across strongly, was that he saw himself as a wine farmer, not someone who wanted a fancy suit/car etc. and I’d expect he’s a little irritated by the prices his wine now gets resold for. That’s not the world he grew up in and he just wanted to make good wine, true to his vocation (and do his bit for the community / church).

6 Likes

Probably not. He manages to bring the worst out of me. I only have myself to blame as I do it to myself every time I view his hidden posts! :confused: