Italian Top Wines - Piemonte & Toscana

Maybe we should give him a heads-up then? Should still be enough time for him to run to said church and take shelter there :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Are you referring to Bartolo or Giuseppe? The Bartolo wines are obviously quite cheap ex-cellar, but as you likely know, if you visit, the waitlist is quite long :wink:

I couldn’t help it… I did the WS check for fun on Italy and with labels hunting in mind I picked the most expensive, it’s surprising solid and sparkle that with a few personal favorites suggested in this thread and it’s a wrap(!):

Giacomo Conterno Monfortino, Barolo Riserva DOCG, Italy

Nebbiolo

86th in popularity

1,310 / 750ml

96 / 100
Wine Label of Roagna Crichet Paje, Barbaresco DOCG, Italy Roagna Crichet Paje, Barbaresco DOCG, Italy

Nebbiolo

727th in popularity

1,073 / 750ml

96 / 100
Wine Label of Case Basse di Gianfranco Soldera Brunello di Montalcino Riserva DOCG, Tuscany, Italy Case Basse di Gianfranco Soldera Brunello di Montalcino Riserva DOCG, Tuscany, Italy

Sangiovese

837th in popularity

1,040 / 750ml

93 / 100
Wine Label of Masseto Toscana IGT, Tuscany, Italy Masseto Toscana IGT, Tuscany, Italy

Merlot

43rd in popularity

958 / 750ml

96 / 100
Wine Label of Cappellano Otin Fiorin Pie Franco - Michet, Barolo DOCG, Italy Cappellano Otin Fiorin Pie Franco - Michet, Barolo DOCG, Italy

Nebbiolo

821st in popularity

932 / 750ml

94 / 100
Wine Label of Biondi Santi Tenuta Greppo 'La Verticale' Brunello di Montalcino Riserva, Tuscany, Italy Biondi Santi Tenuta Greppo ‘La Verticale’ Brunello di Montalcino Riserva, Tuscany, Italy

Sangiovese

10,830th in popularity

791 / 750ml
Wine Label of Case Basse di Gianfranco Soldera Toscana IGT - Brunello di Montalcino DOCG, Tuscany, Italy Case Basse di Gianfranco Soldera Toscana IGT - Brunello di Montalcino DOCG, Tuscany, Italy

Sangiovese

192nd in popularity

756 / 750ml

94 / 100
Wine Label of Giuseppe Quintarelli Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Riserva DOCG, Veneto, Italy Giuseppe Quintarelli Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Riserva DOCG, Veneto, Italy

Valpolicella Blend

759th in popularity

685 / 750ml

95 / 100
Wine Label of Miani 'Calvari' Refosco Colli Orientali del Friuli, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Italy Miani ‘Calvari’ Refosco Colli Orientali del Friuli, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Italy

Refosco

7,164th in popularity

669 / 750ml

95 / 100
Wine Label of Giuseppe Mascarello e Figlio Monprivato Ca d'Morissio, Barolo Riserva DOCG, Italy Giuseppe Mascarello e Figlio Monprivato Ca d’Morissio, Barolo Riserva DOCG, Italy

Nebbiolo

1,399th in popularity

618 / 750ml

94 / 100
Wine Label of Roagna Pira Riserva, Barolo DOCG, Italy Roagna Pira Riserva, Barolo DOCG, Italy

Nebbiolo

5,512th in popularity

617 / 750ml

97 / 100
Wine Label of Biondi Santi Tenuta Greppo Riserva, Brunello di Montalcino DOCG, Italy Biondi Santi Tenuta Greppo Riserva, Brunello di Montalcino DOCG, Italy

Sangiovese

188th in popularity

582 / 750ml

95 / 100
Wine Label of Giuseppe Rinaldi Barolo DOCG, Piedmont, Italy Giuseppe Rinaldi Barolo DOCG, Piedmont, Italy

Nebbiolo

6,468th in popularity

552 / 750ml

90 / 100
Wine Label of Poderi Aldo Conterno Granbussia, Barolo Riserva DOCG, Italy Poderi Aldo Conterno Granbussia, Barolo Riserva DOCG, Italy

Nebbiolo

786th in popularity

537 / 750ml

95 / 100
Wine Label of G. B. Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero, Barolo DOCG, Italy G. B. Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero, Barolo DOCG, Italy

Nebbiolo

274th in popularity

520 / 750ml

95 / 100
Wine Label of Bruno Giacosa Albesani Santo Stefano, Barbaresco DOCG, Italy Bruno Giacosa Albesani Santo Stefano, Barbaresco DOCG, Italy

Nebbiolo

1,528th in popularity

513 / 750ml

92 / 100
Wine Label of Bartolo Mascarello Artist Label, Barolo DOCG, Italy Bartolo Mascarello Artist Label, Barolo DOCG, Italy

Nebbiolo

2,440th in popularity

497 / 750ml
Wine Label of Luciano Sandrone 'Vite Talin', Barolo DOCG, Italy Luciano Sandrone ‘Vite Talin’, Barolo DOCG, Italy

Nebbiolo

1,344th in popularity

475 / 750ml

96 / 100
Wine Label of Falletto di Bruno Giacosa Asili Riserva, Barbaresco DOCG, Italy Falletto di Bruno Giacosa Asili Riserva, Barbaresco DOCG, Italy

Nebbiolo

623rd in popularity

466 / 750ml

96 / 100
Wine Label of Gaja Sori San Lorenzo Langhe-Barbaresco, Piedmont, Italy Gaja Sori San Lorenzo Langhe-Barbaresco, Piedmont, Italy

Nebbiolo

532nd in popularity

461 / 750ml

95 / 100
Wine Label of Giuseppe Rinaldi Cannubi San Lorenzo - Ravera, Barolo DOCG, Italy Giuseppe Rinaldi Cannubi San Lorenzo - Ravera, Barolo DOCG, Italy

Nebbiolo

3,718th in popularity

456 / 750ml

92 / 100
Wine Label of Gaja Sori Tildin Langhe-Barbaresco, Piedmont, Italy Gaja Sori Tildin Langhe-Barbaresco, Piedmont, Italy

Nebbiolo

669th in popularity

439 / 750ml

95 / 100
Wine Label of Avignonesi Occhio di Pernice Vin Santo di Montepulciano, Tuscany, Italy Avignonesi Occhio di Pernice Vin Santo di Montepulciano, Tuscany, Italy

Sangiovese

4,225th in popularity

434 / 750ml

95 / 100
Wine Label of Gaja Costa Russi Langhe-Barbaresco, Piedmont, Italy Gaja Costa Russi Langhe-Barbaresco, Piedmont, Italy

Nebbiolo

748th in popularity

425 / 750ml

94 / 100
Wine Label of Lodovico Antinori Tenuta di Biserno 'Lodovico' Toscana IGT, Tuscany, Italy Lodovico Antinori Tenuta di Biserno ‘Lodovico’ Toscana IGT, Tuscany, Italy

Bordeaux Blend Red

1,329th in popularity

424 / 750ml

94 / 100

1 Like

You won’t freaking believe it, Don must have been lurking around here - out today!

(The Most Wanted Italian Wines in the World | Wine-Searcher News & Features)

I love it! It’s a big-dick list… I feel that old raiding instinct stirring in me and… if you wanna know what I mean by RAIDING… please, check out this thread by Genghis Khan The Unspeakable Things Genghis Khan Did To His Enemies - YouTube :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I love threads like this. Thanks guys, woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning, and in a bad mood all day. Nice to see there are a few people more ornery than I am.

And, I have never understood label chasers, much preferring to find something similar for half the price (I mean my god, this is freakin’ Italy, great wines everywhere).

Odd the hate this thread invokes against a member of the community.

I’m not a baller, but I care not who is.

5 Likes

I was referring of Bartolo. Of course is highly allocated and the wait list long enough unfortunately.

The restaurants are catching up on the prices as well.

Anyway Piemonte is full o wineries making excellent wines. The only one i really miss buying for a song is Rinaldi.

Cheers.

1 Like

I tasted a Antinori Guado al Tasso and thought it was spectacular…

Bartolo is a wine where the cellar door price is generally irrelevant - they pride themselves on not selling wine to people who are not on the list and will literally tell you stories about refusing large sums of cash from tourists with Porsche SUVs parked out front. :slight_smile:

I was referring to Bartolo because many restaurants in Piemonte have an allocation with them, and often the price on the list reflected the one in the cellar with an honest surcharge. Simple as that.

1 Like

So, the most expensive wine on the list then? :wink:

1 Like

Not really. Look up

1 Like

If you’re going to be in Tuscany I’d suggest you look up Poggio di Sotto for a winery visit or on any wine list…even their Rosso can be special in some vintages. It looks like all the real hits in Piedmont have all been covered by others.

2 Likes

Right, Gaja and Bartolo.

2 Likes

Anyway not a staggering price for such a classic and traditional wine. Especially with the retail prices going around now. How much do you pay a bottle of Mascarello in USA?

Others with good connections likely pay less, but for recent releases low $200s retail is the best I’ve seen and that’s for the less heralded '17s and '18s. For most of the vintages on that list it would be significantly more and at a restaurant several multiples of those prices. US restaurant pricing is egregious. So yeah, I’d be happy to pay 150 Euros for those wines.

2 Likes

How can one pick anything else than the 2008 Mascarello off that list :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m just wondering how many days its going to take for all of those Bartolos to be cleaned out now that restaurant has been outed.

An entirely different topic than the question posed by the OP.

As you asked, given the FX conversion, it’s close to what I pay retail for current release Bartolo, and they’re not wines I chase anyway.