It was 107F in Champagne today

Caviar > threads. Glad to see your priorities are in order Charlie!

Someone’s gotta keep the lights on!

Anyways, thread cleaned up.

If you disagree with the decision, please vote No in this thread

Well, what’s our recourse if we already did???

Larry, after the weather cools, how long is it before the vines are open again?

There isn’t any lag. Once the temps drop, the vines start working again. I forget the exact temp that they shut down but it’s common for vines in some areas to shut down for parts of a day during the hottest part of the year. As Larry stated, the risk is a prolonged heatwave in an area for which it’s not common that ends up changing the ripening pattern from what is normal.

Thinking out loud for a second, I’m not sure if the impact would be more or less pronounced when the final product is to be sparkling wine. Intuitively, I would think less since they are picked at lower brix and higher acid and spend no time on skins. Seems to me less of a worry since one isn’t as concerned with color and tannin and all the other products derived from skin contact.

I like the Jordan post showing pics of ‘neighbors’ Chardonnay grapes that got burned and theirs we’re not. Call me skeptical.

Landed in Paris yesterday. Had to go out onto the tarmac to catch connecting flight.

(42,6°C × 9/5) + 32 = 108,68°F

IIRC, this is still no where near 2003. I was in France then in champagne and alsace and spoke to Olivier’s wife at Zind Humbrecht and they were close to harvesting in late July. And when at Krug, it was only cool in their cellars.

2003 did not get quite so hot, but it lasted much longer.

Scottish Sparkling wine, here we come. There are outcrops of chalk, time to plant them.

Dan Kravitz

The shutdown temperature for vines varies wildly by varietal. Riesling shuts down before Grenache.

Dan Kravitz

Prevost: https://www.instagram.com/champagnelacloserie/

Came here just to post that

Here’s a better link- Prevost said he lost 15-20% of the grapes from the heat

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0aN-cVn0kE9l7Fpldt65Q-oLZwDRPW4msBSvc0/?igshid=nj2c8icqfmc2

Damn!

The answer depends on the stage of development. In the case of the photo, the berries appear to be still quite low in sugar, so they should harden off in just a couple of days to where nothing will want to eat that little hard pebble. I wouldn’t worry about them.

This is interesting…have noticed a rough/bitter quality in the tannins of some 2003 Bordeaux, wonder if this explains it

Looks as if the heat wave has finally broken. Temps in the 80s in France the next ten days.