It is unfair that the wines I enjoy are cool climate

Before I got off a phone call with a good friend, I mentioned I was having a Cahors for dinner.
My friend then told me he favors Argentinian Malbec’s compared to those from Cahors. This comment has gotten me to think about cool climate versus hot climate styles. After the experiences I have had so far with wine, I seem to enjoy grapes from cool climates more so than warm climates, because of the great acidity and tartness. Additionally, I find food pairings easier for cool climate wines relative to wines from a warm climate.

What is most upsetting to me is that I have come to realize that the cool-climate grapes I enjoy are over a graduate student budget… damn.

Cheers!

Well, that’s because they are good.

3 Likes

Why is it unfair, though? Your second point (wines you enjoy are outside the budget) is not necessarily specific to cool-climate wines…

4 Likes

You make a great point, there are great wines from warm climates as well. I was just being light hearted with a comparison between Cahors and Malbec from Argentina :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would be curious to know what wines it is that you like that are over your budget. While we have had some warm years recently, some historically cool climate wines that are fantastic and budget conscious are Beaujolais and Cabernet Franc from the Loire Valley. Try Domain Guion. Outstanding and under $20.

Thivin
Baudry
Roilette
Breton
Bouland
Raffault
Vissoux

Just a handful there…

4 Likes

There’s Malbec from Patagonia, which is sometimes quite affordable and not so rich as Malbec from Mendoza, owing to the cooler Patagonian climate.

4 Likes

Thank you Robert for the suggestions, I will have to try Domain Guion! I guess the comparison between Cahors and Malbec from Argentina is an outlook on a comparison of cool versus warm climate (in genera)l for me. I really enjoy Beaujolais (both the heavier styles of Morgon as well as the lighter styles of Fleurie). Some stand outs to me are the 2019 Annick Bachelet Morgon Les Charmes as well as the 2019 Clos de la Roilette Fleurie. I have yet to try several of regions you suggested, those regions will be on my list!

1 Like

I always thought Patagonia made great pinot but it sounds like that I have to try their Malbec! Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

[quote=“Robert.A.Jr, post:5, topic:292665, full:true”] Try Domain Guion. Outstanding and under $20.
[/quote]

The QPR on Guion’s wines is so high as to almost be off the charts. Wish I had stumbled across them a couple decades before I did…

Michael

4 Likes

Having taste is priceless.

3 Likes

Cahors is a cool climate?

1 Like

Nope. But I figured that the Cahors example wasn’t the real point.

1 Like

I would look to Hungary, even in hot vintages the wines retain the cold climate feel. I do not not normally drink bordeaux varietals but a recent A. Gere Kopar 2018 was just fantastic. Hungary in fact for me seems like Cabernet Franc’s natural home.

Also the Burgenland in Austria is exciting.

Also recommend looking at the following Italian regions for affordable cool climate red wine gems.

• Alto Piedmonte (Ghemme, Gattinara, Lessona, etc.)
  • Alto Adige (Foradori probably the best gateway drug for this)
  • Val d’Aosta
3 Likes

“What is most upsetting to me is that I have come to realize that the cool-climate grapes I enjoy are over a graduate student budget… damn.”

:scratch:

Mosel-Saar-Ruwer
The Loire
Alsace
Aldo Piemonte
Côte Chalonnaise
Chablis
Even some red Bordeaux

1 Like

Could you name me a few alsace producers, who make cold climate wines. I live on the german border to Alsace and would like to visit the ones you suggest.

Basically all the producers, if one considers Alsace to be cold climate. There aren’t that many different climates to one region, even if differences between microclimates can be great.

However, seeing how Alto Adige and Alsace are some of the sunniest places in Italy and France and especially Alto Adige struggling to make fresh wines with reasonable levels of alcohol, their categorization as “cool climates” can be questioned. At least my friend who visits Alto Adige semi-regularly always chuckles at Alto Adige wines being described as “cool climate wines”, as the place can be more like an oppressive cauldron for a large portion of summer in hot vintages.

We recently did a tasting with Marcel Deiss, and he even did not consider the Alsace as having a cold climate. Maybe in the past but not now.

2 Likes

Indeed this. I’ve understood it can be even quite a hot place nowadays despite its northerly latitudes - basically the same thing as the neighboring Baden. Most of the other wine regions at the same latitudes in France are cooler than Alsace.

So while it is still grouped with cooler-climate regions, people should remember that this might not be the actual case after all!

Several years ago, I was in Alsace and visited Trimbach (drink, esp. their better wines), Paul Blanck and Albert Mann. I liked the wines from all three places.