Is this the weirest blend of varieties (not varietals) you h

This got me thinking…there are actually weird blends at two levels:
1)how many different varieties can one person cram into a bottle
2)even if it’s only a blend of 2 varieties, who ever thought these 2 could/would work well together

I feel a thread split coming [highfive.gif]

Actually thinking about the weirdest I’d go with Sycamore Creek’s ‘Uvas’. The last bottle I tried was 55% Ruby Cabernet and 45% Chardonnay. I don’t know that anyone would ever call it great or even say it worked well together, but they do sell a lot of it at $10 or so.

The most unusual blend I’ve had was in the 2006 La Granja Nuestra Senora de Remelluri Rioja Blanco - moscatel, garnacha blanca, viognier, chardonnay, roussanne, marsanne, and sauvignon blanc.

Bump

2015 Dirty and Rowdy Familiar Blanc: 28% Chenin Blanc, 22% Pinot Blanc, 18% Chardonnay, 12% Melon, 10% Roussanne, 10% Viognier, 1% funk!

you h

Up until you mentioned the price, I thought you were talking about SQN.

I’ve had a couple bottles over the past year that would fit into this category. For a white blend my weirdest would have to be Brash Higgins 2016 ‘NYMPH’ White Blend which is a co-ferment of the following; 28% Chenin Blanc, 28% Viognier, 28% Semillon, and 16% Riesling.

For reds I’d have to go with Feudo San Maurizio “Saro Djablo” from Valle d’Aosta. Super tasty wine that’s a blend of Barbera, Freisa, Ciliegiolo, Dolcetto, Gamay, Petit Rouge, Fumin, and Premetta. Another co-fermented wine that then sees tonneaux (I’m assuming neutral) for one year.

The most unusual blend of (what I consider to be) a great wine is for the Mas de Daumas Gassac, the 2010 in this case:

70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6.2% Cabernet Franc, 5.3% Merlot, 3.6% Pinot noir, 3.2% Tannat, 2% Malbec, 9.7% rare grape varieties.

Here’s a few from down my way
Vinteloper Adelo -Touriga Nacional, Shiraz, Granache and Pinot Noir
Head Nouveau - Touriga Nacional and Montepluciano (unoaked) .

There is a natural wine which I believe is a field blend from Gentle Folk called Rainbow Juice which to quote from their website has Pinot noir, Pinot gris, Gewurztraminer, Riesling, Barbera, Dolcetto, Nebbiolo, Chenin blanc, Viognier, Chardonnay, Arneis, Malbec, Merlot, Cabernet franc, Petit verdot, Cabernet sauvignon, Sauvignon blanc, Trollinger & an unknown variety.

Of course there are plenty of Portuguese field blends out there, They have identified so far 49 different varieties in Quinta do Crasto’s Maria Teresa vineyard and the ensuing wine, and I’ll bet there are more than a few that most people have never heard of

Funny you should drag up my old thread. At our office holiday party on Monday, the bartender poured me a glass of primitivo but there were only about two ounces of wine left in the bottle. He promptly opened a bottle of pinot noir and added two ounces to the glass.

This pinot-zin combo seems to be coming into fashion. Those are now the two main grapes in Navarro’s Navarrouge, according to the winery website. When I posted on it five years ago, there was more syrah and dolcetto (post #9 above).

Try this one. We absolutely love it. Another name for it is California Gamay.
image.jpg

Validigué is the devil’s grape. It’s trendy now, but it’s just not good.

Sadie Family Palladius has varying quantities of: Chenin Blanc, Roussane, Grenache Blanc, Semillon, Semillon Gris, Palomino, Viognier, Clairette Blanche and Verdelho

While I would not go quite that far, it certainly has not deserved its revival. It can make a fun wine, but one glass is enough.

Cruse’s Validigué Pet-Nat was a fantastic dock wine this summer. Certainly not serious but seriously gulpable.

Which wine is a blend of:

• Zinfandel
  • Grenache
  • Alicante Bouchet
  • Mourvedre
  • Petite Sarah
  • Carignane
  • Syrah
  • Tannat
  • Trousseau
  • Grand Noir
  • Lenoir
  • French Colombard?

Sounds like a Bedrock Heritage.

+1. Had a XXIV a month ago, which was “Sangiovese blended with Viognier, Pinot Noir, Grenache, Zinfandel, Syrah, Petite Syrah, to name but a few.”

It was fun to drink, but felt it had the stuff to improve after a few years. Will try to hold on to my other two bottles.