Is this a wine?

Same, though not with Michel Abood. It was delicious.

Pet nat isn’t just about getting buzzed. Fun? Can be.

Le enfants du marche is a pretty damn great restaurant and I think they know a thing or two about the wine they serve, and it paired beautifully with their dish.

Are there crap pet nats? Yes. But there’s a lot of crap regular wine as well.

The cloudiness and crown cap turn people off, fine. But at least for the bottles I had at Le enfants du marche, I’m guessing, if they were served blind to Berserkers more times than not you’d find them enjoyable.

I’ve had a number of wonderful pet nats. I’ve had a number of lousy pet nats. What puzzles me are the ones I think are lousy but other people say “that’s how it’s supposed to taste”.

Hey, nothing wrong with WPLJ. “You take the bottle, you take the can, Shake it up fine, you get a good good wine”

1 and 2 are not mutually exclusive. Context is everything. I suspect that most here, if they got a pour of something like this in some little place in the boondocks of France, Italy, or even California (a time machine might be necessary for that last one), would take the wine on its own terms and would at least find it charming, assuming it was well made.

I would add a third category as well. Curiosity about the different expressions of grapes found in wines made in different regions and by different individuals. Of course you have to be prepared for disappointment, but anybody in category 1 who has opened more than a handful of bottles of Burgundy should be able to handle that.

Do you also hate Top 40?

There may be something to this, Mel. I don’t really “party” any more and definitely don’t drink to get buzzed. I don’t drink hard liquor of any sort more than 3 or 4 times a year, don’t really get the whole cocktail thing at all. I drink wine because I like how it tastes. I have little to no curiosity in “I wonder what would this taste like if you fermented it” beverages.

That may well make me a “snob,” but I am finding it impossible to muster even a little concern about that.

Neal,

I am pretty much in your boat. When I was younger I was much more open to the second category. Raspberry wine, watermelon flavored wine…I’ve just had a little pet-gnat, not really my thing. People always say, Well, you have to try a good one…not much I can say about that.

I love distilled spirits,esp Cognac and single malt…but do they love me??

Top 40?? Only when Weird Al makes fun of it.

Like anything else, there are good and bad pet-nats. I imagine the reaction to them being fizzy and cloudy is the same that some people used to have when confronted with unfamiliar, “exotic” foods. I really enjoyed Delinquente from Australia’s Weeping Juan pet-nat this year; it basically tasted like boozy Five Alive.

That said, I think the style lends itself to what I consider a bit of an endemic cop-out attitude amongst natty-ish producers of “oh, it’s just meant to be fun/glou-glou/not serious” that basically provides a priori indemnification for bad winemaking and mediocre wines.

Some of the reaction here is likely driven by the Brix pic being hazy orange, like a NE-style IPA. Big difference between that and the pic I posted of the 2017 Melsheimer Rurale, which looked (and drank) like a more typical “glass of wine.”

Funny timing on this - NYT just featured your bottle in a “12 Sparkling Summer Wines” article.

Paragraph in the article is a rehash of this thread - serve VERY cold with a “ tangy, spicy, citrusy delight” TN.

I suspect the timing arose for the obvious reason.

-Al

Orange . . . dense . . . clouded . . . are you posting politics again?

You left out explosive, and topped with a crown cap.

-Al

Yes, Neal was a victim of the NYT who failed to post a trigger warning before they recommended a cloudy, and sometimes explosive, Pet-Nat.